Are the sentences correct?

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:10 am
XYZ was born to a poor family unlike Shakyamuni, who was born into a royal family.

The first significance arising from this is XYZ, being born into a poor family, was able to relate to the common people and to save mankind.

Are the sentences OK, especially "The first significance arising from this..." in the first sentence?

Thanks.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:00 pm
@tanguatlay,
XYZ was son (daughter) of a poor family, unlike Shakyamuni, born into royalty

The first significance arising from this is that XYZ was better able to relate to common folk and thus to save mankind

... OK, esp. "The first significance....is......? " It's a little clumsy

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:16 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

... OK, esp. "The first significance....is......? " It's a little clumsy

Thanks, dalehileman.
"The first significance....is......? " It's a little clumsy. How should it be rephrased?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:37 pm
@tanguatlay,
Oh golly Tang, I'll hafta ruminate

I'm presuming XYZ was Christ etc. Meantime let's hope we hear from some of the experts
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:44 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Oh golly Tang, I'll hafta ruminate

I'm presuming XYZ was Christ etc. Meantime let's hope we hear from some of the experts
No. XYZ is Nichiren Daishonin.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 03:04 pm
@tanguatlay,
Thanks Tang. For the uninformed (me)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Nichiren+Daishonin

Promise, still thinkin' 'bout it; but hopin' meantime someone comes up with the very best

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 09:50 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Thanks Tang. For the uninformed (me)

Promise, still thinkin' 'bout it; but hopin' meantime someone comes up with the very best

Hi Dalehileman, you have not kept your promise.
timur

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 10:37 am
@tanguatlay,
The first significance arising from this is that Dale is unreliable and useless, when it comes to English language.

Why he persists thinking otherwise is beyond me...

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 10:44 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

The first significance arising from this is that Dale is unreliable and useless, when it comes to English language.
Why he persists thinking otherwise is beyond me...

I wonder whether he is really hopeless in English. Look at his profile, especially the highlighted parts.

84 ret USA M BS; erstwhile writer, inventor in electronics; Recording Secretary of Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society; concerned about overpop, worldwide denial of subliminal as principal causation for strife and suffering
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 10:58 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
not kept your promise
My MsSin apolos, Guat. My first instinct:

The first and most striking implication arising from this otherwise common observation is that XYZ was better able to relate to common folk and thus save mankind

...tho Lay it might not quite conform to what you hand intended, lacking context

Fellas help me....
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 11:04 am
I have modified the question for clarity as follows:

Nichiren Daishonin was born to a poor family unlike Shakyamuni, who was born into a royal family.

The first significance arising from this is Nichiren Daishonin, being born into a poor family, was able to relate to the common people and to save mankind.

Are the sentences OK, especially "The first significance arising from this..." in the first sentence?

Thanks.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 11:13 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Are the sentences OK
For what it's worth , At, (apparently not much), I'd have

family, unlike

is that Nichiren

Lay hope was of some help this time. Do I get too involved...

0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 11:28 am
@tanguatlay,
Taguatlay,

I have experienced Dale's pronoucements for years and have to tell you he has a BS, as indicated in his profile.

You certainly know that BS is short for bullshit.

On another topic, if he is an electronics inventor, I'm certainly a master of alchemy.

For a erstwhile writer, he singularly has a limited vocabulary, let alone understanding simple notions.

In addition, he pretends that anyone disagreeing with him is angry at all times.

If he only could know what serenity is..
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 11:40 am
@timur,
Quote:
BS is short for bullshit

Tim again makes my day

Quote:
if he is an electronics inventor, I'm certainly a master of alchemy
Well then Tim, technically you do qualify. Responsible for only a few, I can only admire the next guy who has patented hundreds

Quote:
For a erstwhile writer, he singularly has a limited vocabulary
Oh I do. Interesting you should so comment, Tim; since recently it's been revealed that, like me at 86, with so many of us oldsters, vocab is the very last thing to go

Incidentally I like 'erstwhile' instead, since 'former' has a kinda negative ring to it

Quote:
pretends that anyone disagreeing with him is angry at all times
Oh Tim, not just anyone

Quote:
If he only could know what serenity is..
Oh Tim, indeed I do: I am the happiest 86-year-old in the Universe

Thank you Tim for this splendid opportunity to so unsuccessfully and incompetently express myself

Oh, edited for the benefit of other TAT, who might be feeling a bit feisty at the moment, that's short for 'TAATANE,' or 'Terribly Angry at all Times About Nearly Anything,' though I hastily assure, I add this only to make ya madder. Really, we all love ya
timur

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:06 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I add this only to make ya madder. Really, we all love ya

In order for you to make me madder, you'd need me being mad already, which isn't certainly the case.

Also, your love is not reciprocated..
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
By the way, the exchanges between Dalehileman and timur means my question is no more the focus.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:18 pm
@dalehileman,
I agree that " The first significance" sounds awkward. Even saying 'The first thing" or "The first item" would sound better.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:20 pm
@timur,
Quote:
mad already, which isn't certainly the case
Oh yes, indeed, Tim, I can now see clearly that's the case, and my apolos

Quote:
Also, your love is not reciprocated..
Grrrrr.....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:23 pm
@roger,
Quote:
'The first thing" or "The first item" would sound better
Good'n Rog. That'd be in a sit' or 'text where we'd been discussing possible significances of various relationships, where it would fit most admirably

But let's see what Tim hasta say
Let's join the TAT
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I agree that " The first significance" sounds awkward. Even saying 'The first thing" or "The first item" would sound better.
Thanks, roger, for the comment.

Could you show me how to rephrase my sentences in my first post? Thanks.

1. Forums
  2. » Are the sentences correct?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:40:42