pigeon hole

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
There are pencils in the box: 10 red ones, 8 blue, 8 green, 4 yellow. Let us take, with eyes closed, some number of pencils from the box. What is the least number of pencils we have to take in order to ensure that we get at least 4 pencils of the same color?

and can you give some samples like that problem .( sorry i cant write problems cos of my bad english)

thx right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 788 • Replies: 6
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:03 pm
The simplest version I can think of is socks in a drawer. Two colors of socks, randomly mixed. You must select three to be sure of having a matching pair.

I think the answer to your question is 13. At twelve, you could have three red, three blue, three green, and three yellow. When you pick the 13th pencil you are assured of having four of the same color.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:39 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:
The simplest version I can think of is socks in a drawer. Two colors of socks, randomly mixed. You must select three to be sure of having a matching pair.

I think the answer to your question is 13. At twelve, you could have three red, three blue, three green, and three yellow.

At thirteen why couldn't you have 10 red and 3 blue?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:12 am
Guarantee is the key word
You might get 10 red, but in order to guarantee the result, you have to take worst case and that is when you pull equal amounts and need 13.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:02 am
10 red and 3 blue satisfies the condition of the problem (10 is at least 4).
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
Ensure is the word
Quote:
What is the least number of pencils we have to take in order to ensure that we get at least 4 pencils of the same color?

I read this to say that all possible combinations of X pencils must have at least a set of four pencils of the same color.

It is possible to get four matching with only four pulls, but four does not "ensure" four matching. This problem can be restated as "What is the most you can pull without having four matching?" and then add one so that you guarantee a match. If you propose a number less than 13, I will show you a solution that does not have four matching. Don did worst case in his answer to the question.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:19 am
I'd just got out of the bath when I posted that and my brain was waterlogged. Sad
0 Replies