Nothing in life is certain except....

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:10 am
WARSAW (Reuters) - A Polish taxpayer died from a heart attack after a demand for immediate payment in full of 80,000 zlotys ($23,560) following a mistake by the tax office.

Locksmith Zbigniew Macewicz died during a hearing in the central city of Bydgoszcz, where tax collectors demanded 80,000 zlotys because he failed to keep to a restructuring agreement.

But, in fact, the tax office had miscalculated one payment, telling Macewicz to pay 8.80 zlotys less than he should have and thus putting him in arrears on his repayment schedule.

The government expressed regret over the incident.

"I express my deep regret at the taxpayer's death," deputy Finance Minister Stanislaw Stec was quoted by the Gazeta Wyborcza daily as saying in Bydgoszcz, where he was sent to look into the matter.

He ordered an internal audit of the city's tax authorities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 966 • Replies: 14
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 04:42 am
Re: Nothing in life is certain except....
cavfancier wrote:
"I express my deep regret at the taxpayer's death," deputy Finance Minister Stanislaw Stec was quoted by the Gazeta Wyborcza daily as saying in Bydgoszcz, where he was sent to look into the matter.

They sound like a warm bunch, don't they? Poor Mr Taxpayer!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 04:50 am
Well, at least he had the opportunity to prove an age-old adage all at once.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:49 am
Years ago, my husband and I were audited by the IRS. Being stubborn sort of people, and believing we were in the right, we took the case all the way to tax court.

In the court, waiting for her turn, was an lady who must of been in her eighties. From her look and demeanor, I judged that she was NOT a wealthy woman. She was absolutely terrified, and I found myself comforting her out in the hall.

I walked away, feeling really angry about our tax system. Wealthy individuals, and huge corporations, get away with tax shelters, and have high powered lawyers to protect them, while this pensioner might have to give up a chunk of the savings that she had put away for her old age.

P.S. We ended having to pay just a few bucks, much less than was determined by the original audit. It cost the government much more to bug us, than what they got out of it! Laughing
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:54 am
Fight between Col and Cav..... ;-) :

This story posted by Col is already featured
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:07 am
Thok wrote:

Heh heh, I posted first. 'Nuff said. Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:33 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Thok wrote:

Heh heh, I posted first. 'Nuff said. Very Happy

but i got it featured Razz
nuff said Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 04:28 pm
To borrow a phrase from Seed, poo on you.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:25 am
Laughing

in my world theres room for us all

Very Happy

but its always nice to have a bit of fun Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Years ago, my husband and I were audited by the IRS. Being stubborn sort of people, and believing we were in the right, we took the case all the way to tax court.

In the court, waiting for her turn, was an lady who must of been in her eighties. From her look and demeanor, I judged that she was NOT a wealthy woman. She was absolutely terrified, and I found myself comforting her out in the hall.

I walked away, feeling really angry about our tax system. Wealthy individuals, and huge corporations, get away with tax shelters, and have high powered lawyers to protect them, while this pensioner might have to give up a chunk of the savings that she had put away for her old age.

P.S. We ended having to pay just a few bucks, much less than was determined by the original audit. It cost the government much more to bug us, than what they got out of it! Laughing

well i couldnt agree with phoenix more here
at least you see the truth my dear about the system...
im glad however that you fought the law and won Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:00 am
Cav

Just took a proper look at your new avatar: I love it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:12 am
Smile ive noticed a spate of animated avatars here on a2k recently kickycan has one too and eva
i think its the work of jpnmilwaukee

maybe you need to ask him to animate yours too olga...
you could have your cat blinking or laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:20 am
Thanks, Col

Well, I asked if he could make Felix wink, but the request sort of got lost. I really don't like to ask him again, he's obviously flat out with umpteen requests ...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:24 am
ok i see
but it would be real easy for him to do (a couple of minutes literally, for a blinking felix, if that) and i think it would look cool...
im sure he would do it for a wonderful woman such as yourself Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:25 am
Oh, thank you, Col! Laughing But, nah, don't want to hastle him ...
0 Replies