Attn A2K Al-Quaeda Ops : Nuclear Bomber For Sale On E-Bay

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:09 pm
Link : http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13244503,00.html

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1251591.jpg
Mr Bateson and Vulcan

A flying instructor is selling his vintage nuclear bomber through the internet auction site eBay.

The advertisement reads: "Vulcan Bomber XL391 (complete with engines). Your chance to own a piece of aviation history."

But whoever bids should be aware they will have to pick up the aircraft themselves - it weighs 40 tonnes and has a wingspan of 100 feet.

Brian Bateson is selling the plane to expand Blackpool Airport, where it is currently parked at the entrance.

The reserve bid of £6,000 is not "dissimilar" to what he paid for it in 1983.

Mr Bateson said: "There's no way it would fit in my hangars and I just hope it goes to a good home.

"People in the past have asked to buy bits and pieces of it for spares or memorabilia but I hope it stays in one piece."

Vulcans were built in the 1960s to carry nuclear bombs during the Cold War but were later converted to carry conventional armaments.

Mr Bateson's plane was stationed on Ascension Island in the South Atlantic during the 1982 Falklands war but it was not used in action.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 468 • Replies: 0
No top replies