Helsinki Commission Condemns Pending Legal Action against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:17 am
@thack45,
Theres plwnty of wvienc of dscrimintion ginst the JW;s in mot "civilized countries" (US, UK, Cnda, Oz tc etc)
In the US, our fip flop history of enforcement of the 1sr Amndment has had it tims when "freedom of and From Religion" is ignored. In the late 1940's in Pa (Minersville , a mostly Sokol Catholic town) JW,s took caae to the USSC because thy were required to salute the flg (JW's are like AMISH in that respect, they believe in a higher govt district).
SO, in a famous USSC decision ( Minersville School Diatrict v Gobitis), it was like 7 to 2 AGAINST the JW's because the USSC majority felt that a "little patriotism and flag respect iss a small thing to expect of a citizen, despite religious beliefs-)
This was later overturned (By extension) in YODER v Wisconsin.

In Russia its pretty much the same except the JW, by acting separate from earthly govt were , considered "terrorists" Cnda and UK actually jailed them so, pretty much everybody has some degree of shame on us to admit to.

ven though thy can be the biggest pains in the ass for religions, they are OUR pqins in the ass and subject to the same rights and privileges as anyone else. We are gonna get this "democracy thing" right soon as we can get rid of this douche bag president

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 03:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
If you're popping over for a beer no problem.
Will it be IPA? Please don't make me drink Guinness.

Oh. Did you want me to bring beer?

Well, OK this once. . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 03:45 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
Jehowa`s Witnesses - just like other groups who wants to sell something -
have a special technic.
They have a question you have to agree on and then they sell their product.
Jehowa`s Witness usually ask you "DonĀ“t you think there is a lot of "...criminality in the world or it can be war or something else which evil, we people can agree on.
My answer has always been something like this ....No I think it is amazing that
only 5% are criminal or I find it wonderful that so many are for peace and so few for war.
The result is, that they do not know how to continue and they have stopped ringing my doorbell.
Our literature is free, so I have no idea what you expect we might be selling.

I have enjoyed many of your insightful and clever comments and must agree that I also take some relief that only about 5% of people might wish us harm.

But you must know your response is a non sequitur when applied to the perfection promised Adam and Eve. For a moment, apply your 5% rule to the water you hope to drink or the air you wish to breathe. . .

Do you believe God is satisfied with 5%?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 03:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If you send me your address, I'll knock on your door and we can commiserate about our geezerhood.
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 04:06 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Some questions:
1) Is there an official reason behind Russia's request?
2) Is there an assumed actual reason (given that characterizing JWs terrorists seems a bit hyperbolic)?
3) Are there no Jews or Muslims or other usual propaganda fodder in Russia?
My guess is the Russian Orthodox Church is behind this claim. They are particularly at odds with the teachings of the JWs.

None of the terrorist attacks perpetrated on Russian soil are in any way connected with JWs.
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 04:59 pm
@neologist,
Guiness is not an entirely a vile beer. Its no Yuengling's but it will keep you hydrated
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 05:44 pm
@neologist,
Yeah, but you'd have to walk through my growing weedpatch (I used to be a swell gardener, I swear).

I remember that we are quite close in age, I say, smiling. That sure crept up fast, I say in retrospect.

A year or two ago, a mormon type knock on door guy stopped to talk to me re religion while I was planting some drought tolerant grey plants in my wee front yard, names I now don't remember, but maybe I left a tag or, more likely, listed in my garden file... and I said I wasn't interested. He believed me, but I wasn't a meanie. We ended up talking plants instead, pleasant few minutes, ending with slight waves from each of us.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 05:48 pm
@neologist,
That makes sense.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 08:46 pm
JWs are not the only door knockers. Mormons do that here. I have refused to talk to them, but they used to come here until I got a bit rude.
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
JWs are not the only door knockers. Mormons do that here. I have refused to talk to them, but they used to come here until I got a bit rude.
Rude? Nah,
Just direct.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 09:38 pm
@neologist,
I don't let any type of salesman feel welcome at my door. Just a quirk of mine.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I've been a member for nearly 45 years and have yet to commit any terrorist acts. But the Russian Federation seems to think otherwise.

https://www.csce.gov/international-impact/press-and-media/press-releases/helsinki-commission-condemns-pending-legal

Years ago, I posted this:

https://able2know.org/topic/50801-1

So, what do you think?

First Russia, next, the world.

Truly, man's self-governance is nigh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2017 01:20 pm
I'm glad JW isn't considered above the law.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/04/jehovahs-witnesses-congregations-efforts-to-block-inquiry-squashed?CMP=twt_gu
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2017 04:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I read that, earlier today, interesting.

I haven't noticed others posting this, so I'll add it now:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2017/mar/09/in-russia-the-persecution-of-jehovahs-witnesses-begins-all-over-again
It's slightly old news, but I'd not seen it before.
neologist

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2017 07:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It may be of interest to note there were more JWs in Germany at the end of WW II than at the start.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2017 08:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I wish I could say something like that could never happen. But JWs are not perfect. We have our share of members who fall into criminal behavior. And, in the past we apparently had been remiss in our handling of suspected child abuse.

Yet this seems out of the ordinary.

Responsible elders I know of handle such cases with a great deal more empathy towards victims and scrutiny of offenders. So, perhaps there is more here than was written.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 05:46 pm
Russian Supreme court just ruled against JWs.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/04/20/russian-court-bans-jehovahs-witnesses-extremist-group/100701524/

The work won't stop. Virtually all nations who have banned our work have experienced a growth in our membership.

Go figure.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 06:04 pm
@neologist,
As you well know I'm not interested, except that I am not for shutting people down.

Usually
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 07:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Ive gotta say, the genius of the first Amendment of the US Constitution shows through.

Is funny , I dont hear the whiney support of putin by guys like gungasnake on this issue.
Im confused though, why is the Russian Supreme Court Decision Appeal able. Whats the point of a Supreme Court at all?.
Sounds like a Chinese contract nwgotiation

OSSO
OOC--Out of country (Im back now), "bars" the other folk wqs correct, my cell phone was spotty at best. Id down load some crap from A2k while I was in the plane and read, reply, and cut and paste when I had enough bars to send. Im sure the mods see m going in and out from 3 icp's
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 08:07 pm
@farmerman,
IN Russia, the Amish re an outlwaed group as ell. Any "Severe" Anabaptists would be so designated I believe.

Russia, besides the nation of incompetent imbeciles, is a nation living in paranoia
0 Replies