Did UAL have the right to boot girls for wearing leggings?

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:24 pm
As many might have read two girls were kicked off a flight for wearing leggings. The question is should they have been?

Now on initial glance it seems wrong, however, as is now known these girls were not paying customers but those traveling on standby traveling on employee passes. When given such passes, they are supposed to adhere to United's dress code.

"Chicago-based United regularly reminds employees about the dress rules and tells them to make sure that anyone flying with one of their passes knows the guidelines, he said. Just the day before, United had sent a memo to airport workers reminding them of the dress policy, he said. The reminder “specifically mentioned leggings, along with other no-nos for travelers using United passes, such as flip-flops and torn jeans,” he said."

Blickers

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:33 pm
@Linkat,
In that case, I suppose United had the technical right to boot them off the flight. I think a better way would be, if the young women looked reasonably respectable, to warn them but let them go this time. But yes, if you are taking advantage of an employee benefit, then the company has the right to give you special rules they would not apply to fully paying customers.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

As many might have read two girls were kicked off a flight for wearing leggings. The question is should they have been?

Now on initial glance it seems wrong, however, as is now known these girls were not paying customers but those traveling on standby traveling on employee passes. When given such passes, they are supposed to adhere to United's dress code.

"Chicago-based United regularly reminds employees about the dress rules and tells them to make sure that anyone flying with one of their passes knows the guidelines, he said. Just the day before, United had sent a memo to airport workers reminding them of the dress policy, he said. The reminder “specifically mentioned leggings, along with other no-nos for travelers using United passes, such as flip-flops and torn jeans,” he said."

They should have been notified when they arrived and had a chance to change. But, rules are rules and they should have been aware of the dress code before arriving.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
I find nothing wrong with what they (United) did. As indicated the girls were flying for free on United's pass system. Since a memo was sent the day prior, they should have adhered to the rules. If they are employed by the airline they clearly would know the rules, if they are family members of an employee, then that person should have better advised them. (and if said employee did advise them and they decided to ignore, they should be aware of the gift of free flights that they my be jeopardizing for all family members)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
They certainly have the right to do it. They might have found a better way to handle it. It seems like it wasn't managed with any level of discretion. Particularly bad (IMO) since they were publicly (and apparently loudly) chastising children.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:38 pm
@McGentrix,
If they were guests of an employee wouldn't it be the employee's responsibility to ensure their guests are aware of the policy?

I know when we were traveling (it wasn't a free ticket, but a free upgrade to first class) we were told to dress up and look nice by the employee who put our name down for free upgrade. She also made it clear that the nicer we were dressed the more likely we would be awarded this free upgrade.

From what I understand it is standard across all airlines -- who knows how strict each airline is. We dressed up - but we really wanted the upgrade --- it is a small price to pay to get something for free.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:41 pm
@Sturgis,
The funny thing is according to this article the girls were not upset about the situation.

"The girls (teenagers) were completely understanding,” Guerin said. “No one was upset at the gate.”

It seems the media is blowing it out of proportion.

https://www.boston.com/news/business/2017/03/27/united-airlines-faces-wrath-of-leggings-wearers-in-boarding-flap
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:44 pm
@Linkat,
Friends of mine have been stewardesses, the word back then. I forget the whys and wherefores; ML got me a pass, but there was a catch to it. ****, I had to wear high heels of some height.... and did.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 07:05 pm
@Linkat,
I have no idea what these "leggings" even look like, are they immodest?? poor taste?? or is it just some dress code thing that is based on a menu of do's and donts.
I sure wish I knew what the hell they look like.

My wife used to wear " warm-up leggings" when she went to the gym. Is that what these things are like??

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
Another thing, who are the "sress police" ? Is it some ticket puncher at the gate?
roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 08:08 pm
@farmerman,
Dunno, but I'm betting they're a lot different than the leggings Bob (dyslexia) used to wear.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 08:11 pm
@roger,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C73Wwt3VwAAkM7c.jpg:small

quite the debate
roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
I was right. I never saw Bob dressed like that.

And thank God for that!
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 08:34 pm
@roger,
ok, never mind. That is kinda what is called "i give up" clothing.George Castanza in a hoodie and lounge pants with a draw string.
If one of my staffers would have traveled like that, they would be given one more chance to get with the program.

I went to church for a funeral in the last two years. It was a buddy sapper who had a tough life after his life in service.
His kids and other fmily showed up like street people. I thought it disrespectful for a lot of reasons.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Did UAL have the right to boot girls for wearing leggings?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:31:44