Home Theatre AM radio crossover

gordohu

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
I've had a Panasonic HT700 Home Theatre system for the past year and just recently noticed that an AM radio station is playing in the background of the subwoofer at all times. This occurs whether the system is set to TV, DVD, or Radio. The signal is very low - but just loud enough to irritate when watching TV. The same AM radio station remains playing on the subwoofer - even when the AM receiver is changed to a different channel.

I've contacted the Panasonic consumer assistance line - but they just recommend taking it in for service.

I will likely have to take it in for services - but wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar problem - and if there are any quick-fix suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 766 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
Sounds like inductive pickup of a nearby AM station ... the signal is strong enough at your location to drive the preamp section of your subwoofer. Try better-shielded hookup cables from the receiver to the sub.

You might also wanna call the engineering department of the radio station in question. Radio Engineers are generally pretty nice folks. Approached politely and respectfully, they very well might offer you some tips and help. As a last resort, and don't mention this to the engineering department on your first call, the FCC requires that a broadcaster take all reasonable steps to ensure the operation of the licensed transmitter causes no interference with other devices. Save that for later ... folks can get real testy when you go gettin' all legal on 'em from the go.
0 Replies

gordohu

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Thanks for the suggestions.

I already upgraded the audio and video connections at point of purchase - but the connection between the amp and sub is a Panasonic "factory" cable - (this isn't a high-end system) - and I don't think I'll be able to upgrade this one - although I'm open to suggestions.

Any other suggestions about how to "better-shield" the connection between the amp and sub before I make contact with the Radio station?

Thanks
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 08:14 pm
Odds are a decent $20-class specific subwoofer interconnect will solve your problem.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:59 am
The AM station must be nearby. Wires are acting like an antenna & picking up the AM transmissions. Rectification ("detection") of the RF signal may be taking place where there is non-linearity like an oxidised contact in a plug/socket.

PA equipment often picks up police / taxi type radio messages this way.

Try moving/changing some of the connecting wires to see if it changes. Also clean contacts on plugs etc.
0 Replies