No Showers for Soccer Team

Col Man

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:06 am
Link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&ncid=583&e=9&u=/nm/20041029/od_nm/soccer_dc

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - The Chilean champions were forced to leave a practice session without having showers after their club's water supply was cut off for non-payment of bills.

It was the latest embarrassment for cash-strapped Universidad de Chile who last week had three points deducted for failing to pay the players' wages on time.

"Nothing has happened to me like this before, not even when I played on a dirt pitch for a neighborhood team," defender Nelson Pinto told reporters Thursday.

"I hope the directors get their act together."

Last May, players at the club threatened to boycott their derby against Universidad Catolica in a protest over unpaid wages. They backed down hours before kickoff.

The club won the Apertura title in the first half of the year and are currently top of Group C in the Clausura championship with 25 points from 13 matches.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 585 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
There's an interesting development of this story.

U. de Chile is in such a bad financial condition that it hasn't paid it's players in months.
Accordingly, the Chilean league decided to punish the team, substracting 3 points.
The club president said it's a fraud, since the U. de Chile's arch-rival, U. Católica, was on first place, only three points ahead of U. de Chile, and their match -the Chilean derby- is played next week-end.

Besides, U. de Chile is "left-wing" and U. Católica is "right-wing".
0 Replies