Dog calls ambulance to save owner

Col Man

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041029/344/f5lj8.html

It was like a scene from Lassie. A dog telephoned for an ambulance and then unlocked the door for the police after her owner fell from her wheelchair.

After calling 911, four-year-old Rottweiler, Faith, barked urgently into the receiver to get help for 45-year-old Leana Beasley.

Ms Beasley suffered a seizure at her home in Washington state, in the north west United States.

"I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said emergency operator Jenny Buchanan. "The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me something."

Faith has been trained to knock the receiver off the hook and press a speed dial button to call the emergency services.

But that's not all. The dog is also trained in first aid.

"She's trained to get under my body, roll me to my stomach so that fluid can run out," Ms Beasley told the local television channel KVEW-TV.

"She takes her nose pushes my chin up to open the airway, and then she's trained to lick my face and keep any fluid away so I don't drown."

Faith also uses her sensitive nose to detect changes in Ms Beasley's body chemistry which could indicate she is about to have a seizure.

Ms Beasley believes Faith had been trying to warn her all day that she was in danger. The day of the fall, Faith "had been acting very clingy, wanting to be touching me all day long" Ms Beasley said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 536 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:38 pm
That's pretty amazing! Pets can be incredible! Although not nearly as miraculous as Ms. Beasley's experience, my sisters pet dog helped her out one morning shortly after my sister began using a wheelchair due to the progression of her ALS. She was out doodling around in the kitchen and dropped something and not thinking, bent over to pick it up. Once bent over she didn't have the strength to pull herself back up and in attempting to move her chair, found herself stuck under the overhang of the kitchen cabinet. While she tried to call out to her husband who was still sleeping, her voice was not all that strong, but her dog picked up that something was wrong and immediately went into the bedroom, jumped on the bed and barked right in my brother in laws face until he woke up and didn't let up until he was up and following the dog out to where my sis was stuck. Pets can be intuitive...Skeech had never been trained to work with a person with a disability, but he just knew to do something.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
thats a great story Lady J Smile
thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Thank you for always bringing to light some of the most interesting human interest stories. I enjoy those very much. Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:21 pm
your welcome Smile
thats what im here for

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
0 Replies