As Clocks Get More Precise, Time Gets More Fuzzy

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:05 am
A team of physicists from the University of Vienna and the Austrian Academy of Sciences have applied quantum mechanics and general relativity to argue that increasing the precision of measurements on clocks in the same space also increases their warping of time... While the theories are both supported by experiments, they usually don't play well together, forcing physicists to consider a new theory that will allow them both to be correct at the same time...

In this case, the physicists hypothesized the act of measuring time in greater detail requires the possibility of increasing amounts of energy, in turn making measurements in the immediate neighborhood of any time-keeping devices less precise. "Our findings suggest that we need to re-examine our ideas about the nature of time when both quantum mechanics and general relativity are taken into account," says researcher Esteban Castro.

The article opens with the statement that "time is weird," noting that despite our own human-centric expectations, "the Universe doesn't have a master clock to run by."

Link:

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-find-as-clocks-get-more-precise-time-gets-more-fuzzy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,774 • Replies: 5
No top replies

justafool44

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 06:30 pm
@centrox,
Quantum Physics and General/ Special Relativity are both pseudo sciences.
Time is not a "thing" that can possibly change. Its a concept.
The phrase, "the Universe doesn't have a master clock to run by.", indicates that the famous Physicist who said this, is an idiot.
The Reification of Time is as sensible as a claim that I have a cubic meter of "Love" in this container.
Modern Physics and Cosmology is now all religious dogma.
And no, QM and Einsteins theories are not what engineers used to make my computer or GPS.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
mark noble

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 11:14 am
@justafool44,
That is not quite accurate, justafool.

It's easy to measure a 'meter'.

Just get a standard Ruler, a meter (Electric or gas) And place the Ruler in front of said meter, whilst noticing the little line-thingies on the ruler and the numbers above.

I did it yesterday with a plant pot - Worked out well.

Have a lovely day
justafool44

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 07:21 pm
@mark noble,
could you relocate to the amateur comedy forum please?
You will say, " No, Have a nice day.."
mark noble

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 08:39 am
@justafool44,
Forgive my 'Sat-08-08' evening posts - My boss bought me a bottle of red wine - And I drank it.

Have a lovely day
0 Replies