Boston Irish dilemma–Corned Beef Friday lent vs st. paddyday)

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 11:55 am
Relax – the Cardinal gave his blessing.

US Catholics over age 14 are supposed to refrain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays during Lent, the season of prayer and fasting before Easter. Under normal circumstances, that would include March 17, 2017 — the Feast of St. Patrick.

“Given the importance of this feast in the life of the archdiocese and in the lives of so many of our families, I am granting a dispensation from the Friday Lenten abstinence on March 17, 2017, to those who wish to take advantage of this opportunity,” Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley wrote. He added that Catholics who do should consider another sacrifice or act of charity to make up for it.

However, in 2004, despite some calls from the public, O’Malley did not grant a dispensation to allow Red Sox fans to enjoy a hot dog when the home opener fell on Good Friday that year.

Guess the good Irish Catholic Cardinal isn't a Sox fan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 20

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 12:52 pm
Some relief, maybe, is that in Canada beaver is classified as an exception, and the Archbishop of New Orleans said that "alligator is considered in the fish family" in 2010.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:51 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
...did not grant a dispensation to allow Red Sox fans to enjoy a hot dog when the home opener fell on Good Friday that year.
Guess the good Irish Catholic Cardinal isn't a Red Sox fan.

Or maybe he was looking out for the immortal souls and bodies of the fans, figuring it's often hard to tell just what those dogs are made from.

I recall back in the old days, Catholics weren't supposed to ever eat meat on Fridays. That created difficulties when my sister invited a good Catholic girl to stay the weekend. The poor girl became ill after politely eating the meat loaf. Had to return home immediately. Not being Catholic ourselves, it took mother a little while to put the pieces together.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:01 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
However, in 2004, despite some calls from the public, O’Malley did not grant a dispensation to allow Red Sox fans to enjoy a hot dog when the home opener fell on Good Friday that year.

Guess the good Irish Catholic Cardinal isn't a Sox fan.

Not much of a Catholic either, according to Catholic Answers Lent ends the day before Good Friday

Quote:
Lent ends when the evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday begins, because the Mass of the Lord’s Supper ushers in the Holy Triduum, a liturgical season in its own right and the shortest of the liturgical year. As for the Lenten penances, those are voluntary practices that people take up as personal devotions in addition to the penances required by the Church on the Fridays of Lent. As voluntary penances can be voluntarily set aside, taking a break from them on Sundays in honor of the Lord’s Day is perfectly fine. That said, the Sundays of Lent are indeed part of the Lenten season.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/when-does-lent-really-end
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I believe this is because Good Friday is supposed to be a day of abstinence and fasting. Probably interpreted to continue with the abstinence of meat.

Most of the Catholic stuff is up to determine by people such as the archbishop (thus allowing them to have meat on St. Paddy's day). I grew up Catholic but do not practice myself any longer.
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:18 pm
@Sturgis,
I also read this about maybe why she ate meat with your family -

" Interestingly, if you’re attending a meal and cannot avoid eating without causing your host and fellow guests embarrassment then you are permitted to break your fast."

But then there is the Catholic guilt which probably resulted in her getting sick.
George

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:18 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
. . . However, in 2004, despite some calls from the public, O’Malley did not
grant a dispensation to allow Red Sox fans to enjoy a hot dog when the
home opener fell on Good Friday that year . . .
I'll bet a Fenway Frank doesn't qualify as meat anyway.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:27 pm
@Linkat,
My mother was a lapsed Catholic but became a Methodist when she married my father. Now that's a religion that really celebrates misery. At least Catholic churches look nice.
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
When we got married in a Congregational Church - my mom said --- Where are the statues?

I used to be scared of going to church when I attended the Catholic church - then I went to a congregational one with a boyfriend and I saw kids running up to the minister after some singing and announcements - they called all the kids up before going to children's church - they were actually happy and excited I couldn't believe they didn't get in trouble being happy at church -
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:32 pm
@Sturgis,
I recall that too (catholic until I skidded away in my twenties. All those novenas got to me.) Luckily, even as a young child I liked fish. Even as an old broad, I still like fish.

Except raw oysters, which I only ate once, from a food shack at Mismaloya Beach in Mexico. Oh, man, was I sick, six ways from Sunday. So, do oysters count as fish?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:34 pm
@George,
Aren't they made of dead flies?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
So, do oysters count as fish?

If alligator can count as seafood then I supplies oysters might pass as fish. Not that it much mattered to me growing up as the Jewish side didn't allow oysters since they're shellfish and the Methodist side didn't seem to know what they were other than being related to something bad.

Didn't sample oysters until I was 18 or so. I could take them or leave 'em.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Well that was down right dumb - eating raw oysters in Mexico - wonder how long they were sitting in the sun!

And I love raw oysters!
Yeah and shellfish counts as fish. So lobster is in for Catholics but sorry not for Jewish.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@Linkat,
None of that at the one I was forced to attend, put me off church for life.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:54 pm
@Linkat,
I paid for my mistake..
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:05 pm
@ossobucotemp,
A nice couple, from Mexico City, treated us to the oysters, thus my courtesy to try it. My then boyfriend didn't get sick, which was helpful later for dealing with ms.vomitoria. Probably was my own special oyster.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Foofie

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 02:17 pm
In the nyc archdioces there was a dispensation for eating meat on Friday, St. Patrick's Day. I'd think because corn beef and cabbage is a standard fare for that day. However, did the Irish in Ireland need a dispensation on that day, or is corned beef and cabbage only a thing for the diaspora Irish?
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 02:35 pm
@Foofie,
Corned beef and cabbage is an Irish-American thing on St. Paddy's day- it is not an Ireland thing.
George

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
Quite right.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Boston Irish dilemma–Corned Beef Friday lent vs st. paddyday)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:57:25