stream of water

Seed

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
why doesnt water keep enough surface tension (i think thats the right term) to stay in a constant stream...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 3
No top replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
Why don't you try to figure out the relationships between the area of a drop of water and the volume of a drop of water?

Hint, what happens to the weight of a drop of water, versus the area of its surface.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
where can i find that information at? not in school (so i dont have the books to really look it up, just a question that popped in my head)
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
Basically one should look in a math primer.

The surface area of a sphere

The cubic volume of a sphere

The forces of surface tension. (the force that allows water striders to "walk" on water.

At some point because the weight of a sphere increases in proportion to its volume the weight becomes more than the surface tension can support. Then a stream must divide into drops.

A thought along these lines that you may wish to experiment with is that "droplets" are formed by condensation. In the atmosphere they will combine to form drops, known as rain.

Form some drops of water with a hypodermic needle. See what happens to the average size of the drops when you add impurities to the water. Salt, detergent, sulphur, smoke, exaust fumes etc. and you will be on your way to studying the effects of environmental "pollutants" on rainfall patterns. Have a good time.
0 Replies