Church takes aim at rosary fashionistas

Col Man

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:36 am
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041028/80/f5gut.html

LONDON (Reuters) - Rosary beads are the hot new fashion accessory, but the country's Roman Catholic Church is not amused.

Pop star Britney Spears and soccer captain David Beckham have both been photographed wearing them, prompting a surge in sales at jewellery shops and religious suppliers.

Fearing the beads are being trivialised, English and Welsh Bishops have issued a special leaflet that gives guidance on their use as prayer aids.

"David Beckham and his (pop star wife) Victoria may pray with the rosary every night -- I have no idea," said Father Allen Morris, who is secretary of the Church's Department for Christian Life and Worship.

"They look very nice but it is a great pity if they are only being used as a decoration and not for devotional purposes."

Morris told Reuters celebrities were "not doing wicked things and leading us astray. But I am sorry that people are wearing them as fashion accessories and are not mindful of their religious significance."

Beckham appeared on the front cover of Vanity Fair magazine wearing a "rosary necklace" and Britney Spears was photographed on a Dublin street wearing rosary beads.

The beads are traditionally used by Roman Catholics to count off prayers.

It was the crucifix that used to be the hot fashion item.

Pop star Madonna, herself a lapsed Catholic, draped the stage in religious imagery for her 1990 "Blonde Ambition" concert tour which The Vatican called "one of the most satanic shows in the history of humanity".

Father Morris noted that the rosary also bears a crucifix. "It is a very odd thing to wear as a piece of decoration. The cross is an instrument of torture. Why not wear an electric chair?"

But Kristina Cooper, editor of the Good News Magazine for the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, said the trend could be put to positive use, arguing "This fashion is a great opportunity for evangelisation."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 2
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 04:06 am
Madonna has been wearing crucifixes since she first appeared i the entertainment world.
How come its wrong all of a sudden?!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:47 am
Quote:
Father Morris noted that the rosary also bears a crucifix. "It is a very odd thing to wear as a piece of decoration. The cross is an instrument of torture. Why not wear an electric chair?"

Really! Then I suppose that the millions of people in the US, and other countries, who wear crosses, are wearing symbols of torture. Interesting, if you really think about it. Father Morris, I think that you are on to something! :wink:
0 Replies