Dont Cum Bak 2 Skool : Expelled By Text

Col Man

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:28 am
Link : http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13240716,00.html

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1190531.jpg
Pupil was expelled by text

An exasperated headmaster expelled one of his pupils by sending a text message to the child's mother.

Roger Easterhope had been trying to contact the mother of Meshack Bennett all day with no luck.

At 7pm he gave up on special delivery letters and endless telephone calls and resorted to texting her the news.

The headteacher of Cheam Common Junior School in south London, wrote: "To Miss Bennett. I am sorry to tell you that I have had to exclude Meshack permanently from school.

"I tried to contact you but was unable to."

It was not the first time the 10-year-old had been in trouble at school - he had been temporarily excluded several times over the course of four years.

But teachers at the school were no longer prepared to put up with his bad behaviour.

Talking about the text message, Mr Easterhope, 52, told the Daily Mail: "I didn't think I had any other option - she didn't respond (to phone calls)."

He added: "As far as I'm concerned, all the correct policies and procedures have been gone through."

But Meshack's mother, Naomi Bennett, told the newspaper: "I was shocked the school would send me a text about something like that."

Miss Bennett is appealing the expulsion and claiming her son was the victim of racial bullying. The school says it never received an official complaint from her.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 0
No top replies