How much literature does A2K read?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
I've started reading latin american fiction after reading an a2k thread on latin american authors and ordering several books. LINK

I began with Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones, a compilation of short stories. First I read the introduction. Then I put the book aside, as I have to look up several words I have heard of but don't know the meaning of, and put that off for a bit - not long, perhaps the end of the week.

Next I chose Julio Cortazar's Blow-up and Other Stories, and am making my way through it, each story a whole world of the mind in a few pages.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:41 pm
ossobuco: Some years ago I read "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter: by Mario Vargas Llosa. I loved it. Another good one was "The Obscene Bird of Night" by Jose Donoso. Also terrific...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm
Thanks, D'art, I'll check those out.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Of the two, the first is more accessible and a lot of fun. Donoso's book is dark, but amazing.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:48 pm
It's not how much you read it's how much you work on your readings what is important
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:53 pm
Ossobuco- It's really nice to read that you started reading latin american literature after me starting that thread. Ficcions is one of the best books ever written by Borges, there are amazing tales like "Pierre Menard, autor del Quijote" or "Funes el memorioso": they're priceless. Tell me what your thoughts are on those.

PS. If you like Cortazar's stories I'd recommend you to read his most acclaimed novel: Rayuela (Hopscotch). If I should choose a book that changed me, moved me and made me happier than what I was, that should be it. To go further, if someone put a gun in my head and asked me to choose one of my books before burning the others I'd have to pick that Cortazar's novel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm
Well, I still have to look up what Philology is... (in the Ficciones intro, and yes, I know I should just skip that and read it later.)

I will report back.

In the meantime I am sideswept into Jade Lady Burning, by Martin Limon, Soho Press...

edit to explain which intro of which book
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:03 pm
I am liking Cortazar, though it is a piece of work for me.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
Well I believe you're lucky today because it happens that I have a degree in Spanish Philology: it's the study of language and literature: it's origins, it's development, etc.

Aside from that I should agree with you. Cortazar is a piece of work but it's worth it. As for Rayuela, I'd recommend you to read the english translation (titled Hopscotch). Should be friendlier. Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:41 pm
No question, as I don't read Spanish well. I can make sense out of a Mexican newspaper front page, perhaps, or perhaps not. Well, ok, a menu.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
Maybe it's a matter of continuing to read throughout life. Frankly, despite being an English teacher, I really don't read novels often. I prefer history.

I'm in a predictament. I generally devote my summer reading to some big project. While I've wanted to read both De Gaulle's and Churchill's memoirs for several years, a part of me thinks it should turn to Dickens at some point in my life. Another part of me wants to reread the Federalist papers and their Antis! Of course, I am reluctant to give up Medieval history.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:17 pm
No beach reading fo you, eh, plainoldme? I admire your tenacity. I'd opt for the Dickens from that list, but I sense your a history buff...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
D'Art -- Beach books completely mystify me: whenever I've read something like that, I spent the next several days angry at myself for the utter waste of time.

I haven't tried to read Dickens in years. A few summers back, I read his (I believe slightly older) contemporary Victor Hugo and enjoyed Les Miserables.

I'm reading David Halberstam's book on the 1950s right now and find it quite an eye-opener. While I've wanted to read DeGaulle and Churchill for some time -- more so after a reviewer of Henry Kissinger's memoirs bemoaned the fact that Henry the K lacked the literary talents of the two WWII figures -- I feel going backwards a bit, into WWII, may shed more light on Halberstam's subject.

Are you a Dickens fan? My daughter and a friend of her's from grade school tackled a Dickens every summer from about ages 10 through 14 (they were always precocious) until they finally decided they hated Dickens.

Dickens is taught in high schools today, but he wasn't taught while I was in school. I feel I need David Copperfield, possibly Great Expectations, to be considered more seriously as an English teacher. Frankly, I'd rather teach Zadie SMith's White Teeth. Savory and funny book.
0 Replies