How much literature does A2K read?

stuh505

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:54 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from English to Books.

I don't read books at all...they make me agitated. I only read what I find on the net. My brother is the opposite, and consistently reads about 600 pages a week since he was 10 years old. It's an interesting thing. So who reads them, and how much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,768 • Replies: 52
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
How much? Depends, I'd say. Right now I'm reading "The Bourne Ultimatum" by Robert Ludlum, and it's kinda heavy, been working(!) at it for almost 2 weeks now.

When I'm on vacation I tend to read 4-6 books in 2 weeks. Nothing with substance though, just the usual in crime and grime ;-) .

I also have periods of just reading a2k and my news magazines.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
I rarely read "heavy" fiction. My taste in books go to psychological mysteries and serial killer stuff. When I was younger I was into a lot of self help books. Now I figure that if I don't have things straight by now, I never will! Laughing

I read a lot of newspapers and magazines on the net. Oh yes, and (as if you couldn't tell) I read all that I can about health and medicine, mostly through professional level journals.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
I tend to read in bursts, followed by other times when I'm distracted by other things (like Life, job hunting, A2K ... )
But when I'm on a reading spurt NOTHING can stop me!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
I used to read voraciously. My apartment is overflowing with books actually. These days, I'm a bit picky about what I read, and I don't have much patience for a lot of the fiction that's out there now. I tend to read or reread more poetry these days. Yep, like msolga, life interfered.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
There are still weekends where I read 5 - 8 fluff books a day.
Usually I read 2 - 4 books a week.
That's in addition to 5 - 6 magazines of various types, and at least 2 newspapers a day.
... and my on-line reading as well.

I love love love to read.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
I'm impressed! That's a lot of reading!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
You should see me on the subway, msolga. I'm balancing and reading, balancing and reading, and hopefully not missing my stop - though that's happened if the reading is too interesting Embarrassed

One morning I was so engrossed in my book that I actually sat down at the stop where I was supposed to get off!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Laughing Which book was that, ehBeth?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
one of the only books that kept me interested enough to finish was the DaVinci code...if you haven't read that, well, I recommend it Smile the ending is kind of a let down, but it had to be.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
My reading used to be like ehbeth's but is now more like msolga's.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
My reading used to be like ehbeth's but is now more like msolga's.

Yeah. It's pretty crook when life interrupts a good book, isn't it, Gus?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:10 pm
A good book is an escape from life.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
And if that's the case, if Bush is reelected, I'm going to read like a madman for the next four years.

Thousands and thousands of books
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
Laughing Better than Real Life any day, Gus!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:06 pm
I'm another addicted reader. I devour six to ten books a week--although some of them are trash; three weekly and 8 monthly magazines, two daily newspapers.....and then the Internet reading.

Not watching television leaves lots more time for reading.

Years ago I tossed a newspaper article about avid young readers to my eight year old son. He read it and sighed that he wasn't an avid reader. After all, he only read two or three books a week and his brother read a book a day.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:10 pm
reading a self-published book 'through the years with burt brown from 1909'. the writer is still alive and spry at age 95 and lives north of thunder bay/ontario along the shores of lake superior. i was given the book by one of his sisters (in her 80's, who is one one of our companions in our daily morning swim - not in lake superior !). also (re)reading j.k. galbraith's book : 'ambassador's journal' . jkg was the u.s. ambassador to india in the early 60's, and he was also a friend an advisor to j.f. kennedy. very interesting to reflect (again) on what was happening in those years and relate it to today's history-in-the-making. i'm glad i didn't toss out the book some years ago. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:29 pm
I get my addiction to reading fairly - I inherited it from hamburger.
That self-published book by Burt Brown he mentioned is really interesting. I read a good chunk of it while I was visiting the hamburgers recently (lots of books and magazines there Very Happy )
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:48 pm
I read much less than I really want to. The problem with books is that I see only the long term benefits from them so I'm not usually motivated to read one. Right now, I have 5 started books and I've never been in that state so it's making me kind of crazy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
I used to read a lot. I went through a period where I would gobble up any "classic" that I could find. I read some great books, but now that I'm learning Italian, I don't have the time I used to have. Oh well.
0 Replies