Favorite funny or fun to read books.

I are a Librul

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
Try some Tom Robbins books. A Conferderacy Of Dunces by John Toole is pretty good too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
Whenever I mention Gerald Durrell and Douglas Adams I have to get Redmond O'Hanlon in there -- "On Foot Across Borneo" rocks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:41 pm
Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm.
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.

Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.

Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.

Sing goddamm, damm, sing Goddamm.
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM

Ezra Pound
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:43 pm
Oh my gosh. "A Confederacy of Dunces". My dad and I used to quote that book back and forth to each other. "That precious little Debbie Reynolds" was our wink and nod catchphrase that we said to one another. I could eat my weight in Lucky Dogs right now.

(Hmmm... New Orleans would be an easy place to disappear.....)

I haven't read any Tom Robbins in years but he is fun and absurd! Thank you, Librul for the memory and the ideas.

Redmond O'Hanlon? Another new name (and a great name to boot). You're a goldmine, soz.

Now I'm thinking Elmore Leanord is fun too......
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
Gus--

Two votes for Terry Pratchett--we're compatible (contemptible?)

Boomerang--

Give me 20 minutes notice to water the plants and pack a suitcase. I'm honored to be invited to your getaway car.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
I am reminded of my old friend Sherry. When you said "Let's go" she would throw a pair of clean underwear under her hat and buckle her seatbelt.

I will call you when I hit the city limits, Noddy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
City limits to the north is the diner.

City limits to the south is the vets.

East and west thar ain't no road.

Do you have a cell phone?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
...I've been rereading some of the sf/f author Terry Pratchett.

His plots are diverting and his wit is very companionable.

I second that wholeheartedly. I own (nearly) all of his books, and although some common devices run through them (as you would expect with 28 books in a series or however many it is) they are still a joy to read, all with different themes. Highly recommended by the Duke.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:53 pm
Gus and the Grand Duke? TP and I are in very exalted company.

One of Pratchett's best tactics is to have a large universe with a rotating cast of characters. He doesn't go stale and the reader doesn't get bored.

Viva Discworld!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 09:13 pm
Cel phones are too easy to track. I have 50 cents and a pretty good memory though. I'm sure the diner has a pay phone.

Thats a lot of votes for TP. I will dig through the shelf when I'm done with the stupid angel.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:12 am
I go for Hiassen anyday. But try out Robert Crais and Tim Dorsey, too. Great fun to read!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
Hi bigdice and thanks.

I think I'll have enough to keep me busy til spring!

After investigating Mr. B's shelves I found many Terrys - but not the right one.

I'm sure to become a regular at the library this winter.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
My absolute favorite fun and funny books are George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman" novels.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:55 pm
Hi George! Those books even sound funny just from the title "Flashman".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:57 pm
Oh they're great! Good recommendation.

I used to work for a VERY tolerant used book store owner, and I'd read a paperback in one hand while shelving with the other. Read most of those, lots of fun.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:01 pm
Jerome Klapka Jerome: Three Men on a Boat and Three Men on a Bummel.
Also Saturnin, but I don't think that was translated from Czech. Anyone read Steinbeck's Tin Factory? Or Cannery Row, or whatever the heck it was called in English (I read it in Czech).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
And a second by soz! That does sound promising.

(Plus, you've given me a great idea for something else I 've been working on, George!)

Hi dagmarka! Jerome Jerome!? I have'nt hear of him or his books so I'll be on the look out. Thanks.

As to Stienbeck, perhaps it was living in Oklahoma and being made to read "The Grapes of Wrath" that makes him feel like such a downer. Maybe the translations are funnier. "Cannery Row" is the right title - I haven't read that one though.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:53 am
I'd be interested to hear what the something else is that you've been working on.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:08 pm
One of the reasons that Terry Pratchett is so delightful is that he has several plot strands. One of my favorites when I'm feeling growly and a bit opressed are the witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Og and whatever hapless apprentice they have at the moment.
0 Replies