Favorite funny or fun to read books.

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:39 pm
Life has me completely stressed out right now. I like to read to wind down. I really want to avoid anything too heavy or depressing or that makes me think too hard.

Right now I'm reading Christopher Moore's "The Stupidest Angel". It starts off pretty funny; not as funny as "Lamb" but way funnier than "Fluke".

I like Chuck Palahnuik for an easy, absurd read and Tom Perrota and David Sedaris, Nick Hornby, Clyde Edgerton, (some) Harry Crews -- stuff like that.

Nothing too "pop" and nothing too obscure.

What have you read lately that was funny or fun to read?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,238 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:36 pm
Hi Boomerang -- (Don't you ever wonder why I read so much poetry???) I've found that I prefer the read that doesn't fire me up. Don't want to be fired up, anymore. I want to feel serene. With that in mind... have you read the books by Alexander Smith about Botswana? If you haven't, then you will be amused, you won't get upset, and you will feel like there is good in the world when you are finished. I've read the first four since this summer -- the next two sound equally mild & comforting.

Quote:
The adventures of Precious Ramotswe, who runs the number one ladies' detective agency in Botswana.
Works:

1 : No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, the (1998) by Alexander McCall Smith
2 : Tears of the Giraffe (2000) by Alexander McCall Smith
3 : Morality for Beautiful Girls (2001) by Alexander McCall Smith
4 : Kalahari Typing School for Men, the (2002) by Alexander McCall Smith
5 : Full Cupboard of Life, the (2003) by Alexander McCall Smith
6 : In the Company of Cheerful Ladies (2004) by Alexander McCall Smith

I'm also very fond of the novel, Cold Comfort Farm and think it might be of interest to you.

England as You Like It by Susan Toth is another that I'm seeing on my shelves right now (just scanning for you) and I think would fill the bill. A little older and non-fiction but it is still a remarkably calming read.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
Have you read "Dress your family in corduroy and denim" yet? You already mention Sedaris, but it's a good one.

Have you read any Kinky Friedman? Silly silly silly and extremely un-PC but funny (I think so anyway.) Plus he sees deep into the feline psyche.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
Yes, Piffka, not being fired up.

Right now its either run away from home, become alchoholic, or find some soothing things to read.

I happy to see responses here because I was beginning to think about drinking....

I have heard about those detective novels! I don't know why I haven't read them yet. The fact that there are a series of them might just be perfect. Thank you!

I haven't read the latest Sedaris, soz, and I had forgotten that he even had a new book out. Thanks for the reminder.

I've heard of Kinky Friedman (how could you ever forget a name like that?) but I've not read any of his books. Do you have a particular favorite?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:11 pm
Early ones are better. He has a formula and sticks to it, churns out a book a year, and the earlier ones have better material. Think BPB mixed with Blatham mixed with a soupcon of slappy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/readkinky.htm

A Case of Lone Star or When the Cat's Away would prolly be my recommendations -- the very first one's a little rough yet, took him some time to settle into his groove.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Had to go looking around to see that, indeed, your Kinky was my Kinky. But could there be more than one? We had his "Lasso from El Paso" album, I think, at least those are the songs I know the best. I've been reading his webpage! I didn't realize he was writing mysteries now. Always had the funny/ gross lyrics. I'll bet his books are funny, too.

One of his more amusing ditties:
Waitret, Please, Waitret
(Kinky Friedman, Major Boles, Roscoe West)

Well, I pulled into Dallat on a cold December day
Bought coffee and a doughnut at the Greasy Spoon Café,
Spied me a pretty young waitret standing by her tray,
But she couldn't believe her sweet young ears when the waitret heard me say:
Oh, waitret, please, waitret, come sit down on my fate,
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:42 pm
Heh!

Your Kinky is my Kinky, fer sure.

He's been writing mysteries for quite a while now. The website is funny but a lot of it is focused on his run for Governor (it used to be more general and funnier.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
My life has been rather grim lately. I've been rereading some of the sf/f author Terry Pratchett.

His plots are diverting and his wit is very companionable.

Angela Thirkell wrote a shelf full of novels dealing with English Country Life in "Barchestershire". Soothing.

The dark of the year is coming--festivals or no. Having a stash of winter reading is a good survival move.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
Heh. Well, I spent all the time on his website reading lyrics! Barely noticed the political stuff. He's really running for Gov. of Texas? What, a marketing stunt?

You're right, Noddy. Have you noticed that a good supply of poetry can also make things look up? Good short reads.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:54 pm
Gerald Durrell always cheers me up.

Douglas Adams, too.

Ummm... <squinting at bookshelves> "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is a gorgeous little book, oh, Carl Hiassen! Have you read anything by him? He's good for dealing with simmering resentment. (Those who deserve it always really REALLY get it in his books...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:55 pm
He's really running for Gov. of Texas. He's above marketing stunts, though. He's running for Governor of Texas 'cause he wants to and ain't nobody gonna stop him. :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
(There was an article shortly after he declared that indicated he got a real politician haircut and everything but it exposed distressing sparse patches so he went back to the cowboy hat and was growing it back out -- too funny.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Douglas Adams was a good choice, Soz. The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul was one of my favorites.

( I think that was the title )
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:02 pm
Should I swing by and pick you up as I run away, Noddy? There aren't many people I'd be willing to aid and abet but you rank very, very high on my list. As run away companions go, I'll bet you're first class.

Mr. B like sci-fi and the name Terry Pratchett rings a bell. I might already have some of those on my shelf!

Thirkell is a new name to me. Perhaps I shall check it out. Soothing is all I ask.

Usually the winter is when I tackle the heady stuff. This year is starting out a bit too dark already though and survival is utmost in my mind today.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
Yep!

One of his last books that I hardly ever see mentioned is "Last Chance to See", about going and observing animals on the brink of extinction -- it's a fairly straight-up amateur naturalist book, but some parts are can't-read-in-public-unless-you-want-to-be-carted-to-the-looney-bin funny.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
Well hell. Just about anybody can be governer of Texas. I grew up there so I think its my turn next.

Douglas Adams is fun. Mr. B is 42 this year so I tell him to expect something major. (I was 42 when Mo moved in).

Gerald Durrell - another new name for me to mark down!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is well worth the read, boomer. If that's on the shelf, grab it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:09 pm
I'll go back to look at Kinky's website and see if I can spot a bald spot. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
I'll go look. Thanks gustav!
0 Replies