The Marvel Cinematic Universe Juggernaut

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:08 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
So my above recommendation needs no modification.

Although.... Maybe not. I wonder if a PLF equipped with Dolby Atmos might be better than a liemax for my third recommendation.

Laser IMAX and Dolby Cinema are definitely the top two choices though. Nothing comes close to them.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 06:48 pm
@oralloy,
If you want to see it in a theater with Dolby Atmos sound, you can get a list of theaters here. After you bring up your location, check the little box for Dolby Atmos to show only those theaters:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/find-a-movie-theatre.html
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:56 am
@oralloy,
I'll stay away from Dolby Atmos. The high ticket price isn't justified having my ears hurt and I just don't get the ... nuances of the supposedly superior sound tech.

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't think it's a question of volume, but rather making the sound more realistic.

The effect was supposed to have been especially good in the movie Gravity, because when people drifted away in different directions in outer space, the position of their voice in the theater drifted in the same directions.

I'll report my own impressions on it after I see Infinity War.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:18 pm
This won't play as an embed because of the NBC Tonight Show copyright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ymBk6Vb04

It's the Avengers cast doing an Avengers version of the Brady Bunch theme song.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:27 pm
3Dor2D.com wrote:
Simply put "Avengers Infinity War" looks fabulous in 3D. I watched this movie in IMAX 3D and I was blown away. The 3D in this movie looks incredibly crisp and bright. This movie was made for 3D. Dozens of scenes use pop out 3D in fun ways. Several scenes use 3D depth for a greater sense of scale. The 3D in this movie is not perfect and has some minor issues. A few scenes are darkly lit, and 3D and darker scenes don’t work well together. These scenes are few and far between so it doesn’t sour this overall excellent 3D presentation. The 3D usage is especially fascinating in the final scenes of the movie. I can’t really discuss this without massive spoilers, but needless to say I was both stunned and impressed. The 3D element of "Avengers Infinity War" doesn’t feel like an afterthought. The 3D and the story elements of "Avengers Infinity War" go hand in hand for an unforgettable cinematic 3D experience. I applaud the brilliant use of 3D visuals within this film. I don’t want to see this movie in 2D. I strongly suggest experiencing this movie in IMAX 3D. This movie was shot entirely with digital IMAX cameras so watching this in a IMAX theater is ideal. Overall this is a MUST WATCH IN 3D movie, and I shall give it my highest recommendation.

Final Verdict: Great 3D, Editors Choice 3D Award

http://www.3dor2d.com/reviews/avengers-infinity-war-3d

Personally I'm a bit wary of the IMAX recommendation. I understand it, as I was thinking the same thing only a weak or two ago. But the movie was only released in 2K. Having a low resolution image smeared over a giant screen isn't ideal. I now believe that a smaller screen equipped with Dolby Atmos sound is a better choice than a giant IMAX screen.

But I'm definitely seeing it in 3D.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:30 pm
@oralloy,
If I didn't know better, I'd say you were getting kickbacks for saying Dolby Atmos...
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:38 pm
@McGentrix,
It sounds like an amazing technology that will make watching a movie a much richer experience.

Do you think foregoing Atmos and seeing a 2K image smeared over a giant IMAX screen would be a better experience?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It sounds like an amazing technology that will make watching a movie a much richer experience.

Do you think foregoing Atmos and seeing a 2K image smeared over a giant IMAX screen would be a better experience?

I have nothing like either of those things in my neck of the woods. The nearest Atmos is well over 4 hours from me.
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:20 pm
@McGentrix,
7.1 surround sound would be a step up from 5.1 surround sound. You could see if there are any 7.1 theaters in your area.

Instead of checking the box for "Dolby Atmos", check the box for "Dolby Surround 7.1".

Based on the 3D review that I quoted in my earlier post, I'd recommend at least seeing it in 3D if nothing else.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

7.1 surround sound would be a step up from 5.1 surround sound. You could see if there are any 7.1 theaters in your area.

Instead of checking the box for "Dolby Atmos", check the box for "Dolby Surround 7.1".

Based on the 3D review that I quoted in my earlier post, I'd recommend at least seeing it in 3D if nothing else.

I appreciate you taking movies as seriously as you do.

I love movies. When we remodeled, I built a home cinema (7.1!) and I usually watch most movies there. I make exceptions for the MCU and Star Wars plus a few other block busters. I plan to go see it tomorrow evening at the local theater. It has DLP and I find that ok. I will watch again on Blu-ray when released.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 03:35 am
@McGentrix,
I make exceptions for Star Wars and a few other blockbusters too. Normally I see movies at a theater 10-15 minutes away. For the big movies I am willing to drive an hour or so away. There are a number of small/medium sized cities an hour's drive from me in various directions, and I can pick the best out of all those cities each time I am willing to drive an hour.

I advise a 3D showing if at all possible. Note the review of the movie from the 3D review website that I posted earlier.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 09:09 pm
According to the credits, Infinity war was shot entirely on IMAX cameras and formated accordingly. My theater tonight was a Sony 4k and the movie was very good.
*spoiler* - people die and people live.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 11:40 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Infinity war was shot entirely on IMAX cameras and formated accordingly.

Well, there's IMAX and then there's Liemax. The 1.9 Liemax aspect ratio is certainly taller than 2.39 scope, but it is nothing like the movie would be in the 1.43 aspect ratio of true IMAX.

Regardless of the aspect ratio though, I'm really not sure that a taller image is worth seeing 2K smeared across a giant screen.

McGentrix wrote:
My theater tonight was a Sony 4k and the movie was very good.

I hope 3D was available.

McGentrix wrote:
*spoiler* - people die and people live.

Well....

Untitled Avengers film: May 3, 2019
Untitled Spiderman Film: July 5, 2019
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: sometime in 2020
Untitled Black Panther film: probably sometime in 2020

The Spiderman film is going to be tricky for them, because they'll need to release trailers for it before people see the Avengers film.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 10:28 am
@oralloy,
I did take your advisement, but the 3d showing did not fit our time frame. I do plan to see it again and will probably do so in 3d.
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:41 am
@McGentrix,
Remember the 3D review:

"The 3D usage is especially fascinating in the final scenes of the movie. I can’t really discuss this without massive spoilers, but needless to say I was both stunned and impressed."
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 06:05 pm
@oralloy,
OK, I saw Infinity War myself now.

My assessment of the 3D was that it was very well done and the movie is definitely worth seeing in 3D.

However, I'm not exactly sure why the reviewer was "stunned and impressed" with the 3D aspects of the ending. The 3D was certainly well done, but I don't know what about the 3D aspects of the ending warrants the phrase "stunned and impressed".

I was stunned and impressed with the 3D aspects of Doctor Strange. By comparison Infinity War was merely very well done 3D.

The Dolby Atmos sound was also good. If you can picture the difference between stereo and mono, it made "normal" surround sound feel like mono, with this feeling like stereo feels in comparison to mono.

And one other point that I better make sure everyone understands: This is a Marvel movie. The last scene will come at the END of the credits.

I sort of figured that everyone would already know that, but 90% of the people in the theater left when the credits started rolling, and they all missed the ending of the movie.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 11:45 pm
@oralloy,
How many superheroes are in that movie?

I love marvel escapism, but this movie seems so complicated that it would just confuse me.
oralloy

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 12:27 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
How many superheroes are in that movie?

I didn't count. You should really see all of the other Marvel movies before seeing this one, at which point you just know who everyone is already when you see them on the screen.

Kolyo wrote:
I love marvel escapism, but this movie seems so complicated that it would just confuse me.

I'm not sure if it is complicated really. It's the cumulation of the story that has been building behind the scenes for years in these films.

Or maybe it's complicated, but all the complexities have already been explained over the course of the earlier movies, so at this point everyone who has seen all of the earlier movies already understands the complexities.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 08:50 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

It was done in such a way that ... for the most part, the superheroes were broken up into pairs during many of their respective scenes.

That was the biggest ... (shared) compliment that many critics had in terms of making such a crowded film be watchable and not hard to follow.