Victorian trousers left in personal 'time capsule'

Col Man

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041022/323/f5487.html

LONDON (AFP) - Workers renovating a British theatre have uncovered a personal time capsule left the last time the building was spruced up, containing a letter and, more curiously, a pair of Victorian trousers.

The note, written on March 6, 1901 by a man identifying himself as Frank Morrill, requests that the well-used workman's trousers be handed to a museum.

The time capsule, also containing some tools, was found behind a ceiling panel this week at the 17th Century Sheldonian Theatre, part of Oxford University, a university spokeswoman said on Friday.

"The trousers are quite holey, it looks like the moths have been at them. There is no designer label and they have a high back to attach braces to," the spokeswoman said.

"Dear Friend," the note begins.

"When you have inspected these trousers please hand them over to the curator of the Taylor Buildings for the Museum as they were worn by Frank Morrill, Chief Assistant to John C. Nairn and Son, who restored the ceiling of the building.

"Hope you enjoy yourself when you have found this valuable treasure. I expect I will have fed the worms by that time, however I will have a good time before I do so," it reads, signing off: "Goodbye old chap goodbye."

The trousers are being offered to a local museum, as requested by Morrill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 393 • Replies: 0
No top replies