Question about Italian film subtitles for DVDs

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
I don't know if this should be here or in the Film forum, but I'll give this forum a shot first.

I have rented a few Italian DVDs lately, and there is an option on the disc menu function of my DVD player that allows me to change the language of the subtitles. But when I change the subtitles to italian, it doesn't work. It just turns the subtitles off completely.

And then if I look at the actual menu from the DVD itself, it always has as the only subtitle language options "English" or "No subtitles".

I'd like to be able to watch an Italian movie with the subtitles in Italian also, so that I can read along, look things up when I need to, and translate. You know, for practice.

Why would my DVD have the option of several different languages if the DVDs don't have that option?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 4
No top replies

I are a Librul

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:15 pm
Subtitles have to be offered as part of the DVD. Your DVD player cannot translate Italian, it comes on the disc. If you are renting Italian movies, I guess they assume that you understand Italian and have no need to have it spelled out.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:21 pm
I know. I'm just wondering why my DVD player would have that option then. If it's all on the DVD, then why waste your time putting that on the DVD player? Isn't that stupid?
0 Replies

I are a Librul

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:26 pm
Maybe the DVD menu is a list of the options that your DVD will recognize on a disc.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
Good answer! Smile I guess that must be it.

Thanks. And welcome to the site.
0 Replies