What will it take to remove Trump from presidency ?

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:00 pm
I know it is very hard to impeach a president, but what events would be grounds to evict him from office?

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:09 pm
@visceral,
I don't have any idea of the details of impeaching, but I think general disgust mixed with fear of world reactions might be a factor for those who understand the procedure and could move it forward. I would presume it wouldn't be disgust by just one party. I doubt we are there yet.
Blickers

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:35 pm
The Constitution says, Article II Section 4,
Quote:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Considering Trump's career in New York City real estate, where bribery of of public officials to get zoning clearances, etc is in the job description, there's a good chance there.

As far as Treason or other High Crimes, there is Trump's relationship with Russia and what he might have known what his people were up to to consider. As this story is unfolding day by day, it would be foolish to rule this area out as a very possible area for impeachment or even more.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:38 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks for that link.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 11:32 pm
Quote:
What will it take to remove Trump from presidency ?

Time (eight years in fact).

Don't you love questions with really simple answers?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 07:56 am
@visceral,
visceral wrote:
I know it is very hard to impeach a president, but what events would be grounds to evict him from office?

He would need to be caught doing something illegal, or be found complicit to illegal activity. Then impeachment proceedings would force him out. Similar to Watergate.

Doing things which are distasteful to certain people or groups, is not sufficient grounds for removal, although he could still be impeached, it just wouldn't force him out. Similar to Bill Clinton.

It will also take real evidence to make anything happen, not just hearsay or hand-wringing. Until real evidence is brought into play, everything else is just farting into the wind.
visceral

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 06:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I tend to agree, as some have said when interviewed, it may be down the road..
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 06:33 pm
@gungasnake,
not so simple....I'm sure news will unfold within his *four* year term.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 06:46 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
He would need to be caught doing something illegal, or be found complicit to illegal activity. Then impeachment proceedings would force him out. Similar to Watergate.

Doing things which are distasteful to certain people or groups, is not sufficient grounds for removal, although he could still be impeached, it just wouldn't force him out. Similar to Bill Clinton.

It will also take real evidence to make anything happen, not just hearsay or hand-wringing. Until real evidence is brought into play, everything else is just farting into the wind.

Bill Clinton was caught committing numerous felonies in the White House.

After the Democrats placed Bill Clinton above the law, there is no chance that anyone will take Democratic complaints seriously even if Trump were caught doing something illegal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 06:48 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Time (eight years in fact).

Yep.

And even after eight years the Republicans will still keep hold of the White House. We're at the start of a 20 year period of Republican control.

gungasnake wrote:
Don't you love questions with really simple answers?

Yep.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:50 am
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Bill Clinton was caught committing numerous felonies in the White House.

In the end, it was about sex.

With Trump, it could be about selling out the country's security for money.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
In the end, it was about sex.

That Bill Clinton's string of felonies were motivated by the desire to cover up an affair doesn't seem to change the fact that they were a string of felonies.

How far does this "only about sex" logic go? If Bill Clinton had murdered a nun in cold blood in order to cover up his affair, would that have been OK?

What if he'd been a serial killer who raped women before killing them? Still only about sex?

Blickers wrote:
With Trump, it could be about selling out the country's security for money.

Trump's support for Putin is ideological.

By that I mean Trump genuinely believes in the pro-Russia the positions that he is pushing. It isn't because of blackmail or because of financial interests.
thack45

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 09:00 am
One thing some conservatives in government still don't feel completely prepared to reveal is their indifference and/or distaste for poor citizens – especially the brown ones. So when something like another incident of white cops capping off an unarmed black kid takes place, trump's reactions in the following days ought to be more than these conservatives can ignore.

Were such a scenario to happen, that would be the time for dems to start talking about section 4 of the 25th amendment to the constitution. Let the lying, hateful press run with that for a few days..
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 09:41 am
@thack45,
When someone tries to murder a police officer and gets shot and killed in self defense, there is nothing wrong with that. All those goofy Black Lives Matter tantrums were just goofy tantrums.

Mr. Trump is going to be president for the next eight years and the Republicans are going to hold the White House for the next twenty years. You might as well get used to it.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 10:16 am
^^ Yep, that's the stuff
McGentrix

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:03 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

^^ Yep, that's the stuff

What stuff? Is this one of those things where if you mention a minority in any way that is not adulation you get labelled a racist? Looks like one of those things.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 01:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote Oralloy:
Quote:
How far does this "only about sex" logic go? If Bill Clinton had murdered a nun in cold blood in order to cover up his affair, would that have been OK?

What if he'd been a serial killer who raped women before killing them? Still only about sex?

Yeah, but contrary to the right wing crazies, Bill Clinton didn't kill anyone or have them killed. A woman in her mid twenties threw up her skirt in his face which commenced an affair, and he lied about it during an investigation most people feel was unnecessary. Crimes? Technically, yes. Impeachable? The Senate didn't think so, and neither did most Americans.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Trump's support for Putin is ideological.

By that I mean Trump genuinely believes in the pro-Russia the positions that he is pushing. It isn't because of blackmail or because of financial interests.

We don't know that at all. Trump vigorously refused to turn over his tax returns, so we don't actually know what his extensive international business interests extended to so that he could be vetted. And the guy's sexual proclivities are quite public-bragging that he walks into the dressing rooms of 15 year old girls who are dressing for his beauty pageant on the grounds that since he owns the pageant, he has open access to the girls' dressing rooms any time he wants. And a public divorce deliberately carried on in the press on purpose for the sake of totally humiliating his wife for months. Clinton got caught in a consenting affair and at least had the decency to try to hide it. This guy proclaims to the world that since he's Trump, he'll do whatever he likes and you have to like him because of who he is.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 01:53 pm
@Blickers,
I'm not against Monica, but I remember her being quoted by friends as going to grab him, grab him being my summation as I didn't memorize the quotes.
I find it sort of sad a president is not allowed fool around sex in his own place.
Hmmm. I bet there are many predecessors and successors to come.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:27 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Yeah, but contrary to the right wing crazies, Bill Clinton didn't kill anyone or have them killed.

Right. It was a hypothetical to explore the limits of this "it's OK for Clinton to commit felonies as long as he was covering up sex" theme.

If it is OK for Clinton to commit one set of felonies to cover up sex, why wouldn't it also be OK for Clinton to commit a different set of felonies to cover up sex?

Blickers wrote:
A woman in her mid twenties threw up her skirt in his face which commenced an affair, and he lied about it during an investigation most people feel was unnecessary.

Bill Clinton committed perjury in the sexual harassment lawsuit against him. Then Janet Reno commissioned an investigation of that crime and he committed perjury again for that investigation. Clinton also committed witness tampering and obstruction of justice.

This "most people feel was unnecessary" was due to a constant Left-wing tantrum that it was appalling that anyone would dare to hold Democrats accountable to the law. But now that the Democrats have established the idea that it isn't necessary to hold Democratic presidents accountable, the Republicans are not going to find it necessary to hold any Republican president accountable either.

Blickers wrote:
Crimes? Technically, yes. Impeachable? The Senate didn't think so, and neither did most Americans.

And now the Republicans are going to extend the same courtesy to any Republican president who is caught committing felonies, should such an event ever come to pass.
Blickers

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 04:10 pm
@oralloy,
False equivalence. You keep on saying a felony is a felony, but the fact is the American people decided-even when the process was going on-that his felony lying about having a consensual affair with a woman in her twenties does not amount to an impeachable offense, and neither did the Senate.

I realize that you are going to go on for post after post maintaining that a felony for anything is equivalent to a felony for anything else, but that's plainly ridiculous. Lying about a consensual affair, even if a felony, it not equivalent to selling out the US security position to Russia, America's greatest enemy and military threat since the end of WWII. A nation that took over 100 Million Eastern Europeans and put them under their brand of totalitarianism, and made them watch as their West European cousins improved their lives for themselves and their children while the Eastern Europeans just stayed in place. Which place is pretty much like the Great Depression was in the USA during the 30s.

Compare Clinton's flings with a fundamental world shift toward empowering a totalitarian threat if you want-nobody but the Trump choir will believe the preaching.

1. Forums
  2. » What will it take to remove Trump from presidency ?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:32:14