answering

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 07:37 am
Is the word "answering" in the sentence below being used correctly? I want it to mean "being responsible for." If not, what can I use in its place?

In 2010 high blood pressure was the main cause of death, affecting more than 9 million people worldwide and answering for 7% of the global disease load.

Thanks very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 718 • Replies: 6
No top replies

layman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 07:56 am
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

Is the word "answering" in the sentence below being used correctly? I want it to mean "being responsible for." If not, what can I use in its place?

In 2010 high blood pressure was the main cause of death, affecting more than 9 million people worldwide and answering for 7% of the global disease load.

Thanks very much.

I would say the wording is very unusual. I would suggest "accounting for," if you don't "responsible for." Normally, the word "answering," when used in that context, carries connotations of "justifying," or "explaining." Generally only a person is capable of "answering" in that context.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:15 am
@layman,
What layman said makes sense. I wonder if you could change the preposition "for" to "to": answering to 7%... with this change it's less like a justification and more like a statement of fact, I think. I.e., high blood pressure is the answer to 7% of disease. Answers to seems like a less common construction than answers for, however. And I'm not sure the nuance I've interpreted is one that others would think is useful or correct, which is a round about way of saying I think answering for is fine. High blood pressure is the cause that answers for/is the answer to the effect, 7% of disease.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:23 am
Without a question being asked, there can be no "answer," literally speaking. Sometimes it is used in ways that appear otherwise; "answering the call," for example.

But when you boil it down, the "call" is really an abstract question along the lines of "where are you," or "who will serve this need?" When you "answer the telelphone" you are "responding" to a request to speak with you. But, again, a "response" requires a pre-existing stimulus--a trigger. By definition, it's not something that arises sua sponte.
Doubtful

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:54 am
@layman,
"Accounting for" is perfect, thanks very much!

According to the Oxford Dictionary Unabridged (see link), answer for is the same as account for or be responsible for, but maybe only people can "answer for" something in this context. Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/r1aSo
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:01 am
@layman,
That's a good explanation. Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 11:44 am
@Doubtful,
Godly Pete, Doubt, I would've said it's okay. Cen, help
0 Replies