Do Dogs Have a Sixth Sense?

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
Several A2K'er were discussing this on my ghost thread recently. Of course, we all understand the basic senses of our four legged friends, but can dogs sense things above and beyond that? i.e. can they sense the death of a master or mistress?

Would appreciate your input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,926 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:27 pm
I think dogs, amongst other animals, have a sensitivity to oncoming disaster that humans do not posses. Animals sensing storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, has all been well-documented.

I am amazed at the 'cancer-sniffing' dogs. These special animals can indeed sense illness in their masters, but can't always communicate it without the proper training. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/08/0820_040820_detectordogs.html

Given this evidence, I do believe that dogs and other pets do indeed sense these things, including the impending death of a master or mistress.

I have type II diabetes, with liver complications. The doctors don't know which came first, to be honest. My dog chooses to sleep close to my abdomen, or on my pillows, where my scent is noticed by him. I'm not dying by any means, but his natural empathy is a constant source of encouragement. Good dog....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
Cav, I am definitely with you on this one. I know this also. My little mutt, Janie, waited for me to return home from grad school before she died. Truly. It seems to me that there was a movie about a dog, Grey Friars Bobby, that was based on a true story. I also believe that dogs smell fear in a human. You already know the story of my dad's dog, snowball.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:23 pm
I am concerned about doglover. Wonder where she is? Anyway, Cav. This story was of great interest to me:

http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/story/story.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
Yes, the snowball story brought me to tears. I can't really post through that, so if I didn't respond, my apologies.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:10 pm
Ah, Cav. You are such a sensitive man. When the campground cat, Leo, came to our RV place to die, I cannot tell you how it shook me. There will be no more pets for me, I think.

Not to worry about not responding about snowball. It is my firm belief that dog felt an obligation to be with Daddy, somehow.

When we were kids, my sisters and I used to love to play the song, Old Shep, on the piano, and tear up. Aren't humans odd, though?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
Humans are odd indeed Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:17 pm
Shocked How did you do that, Cav. Wow! Talk about sixth sense. You knew what I was going to say before I said it. Now wait a minute. who's the witch here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:41 pm
I think that dogs, and animals in general, are just more in tune with the five senses. You would be too, if you couldn't be entertained by reading, writing, and watching television.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:48 pm
Hey, CJ. Good point, but we were talking about a sixth sense here. One that isn't covered by the other five. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
Letty wrote:
Shocked How did you do that, Cav. Wow! Talk about sixth sense. You knew what I was going to say before I said it. Now wait a minute. who's the witch here.

It was just a feeling...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:38 pm
Hmmm. Mystic intuition. Well, I'll say this. Things do happen in strange sequences, sometimes.

So far, all my predictions about folks who are ill on A2K have been spot on. (love that expression)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
I agree with cjhsa. Dogs just pay attention, and they're not distracted by thinking. Plus their sense of smell is so much better than ours that it seems uncanny.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:04 am
mornin', coluber. The uncanny part is the essence of this thread. I'm not trying to make something other worldly about any animals, I'm just wondering about that extra thing that some dogs seem to possess without benefit of training.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:39 am
I'm giving this thread a bump and a grind because of the recent occurrences concerning the sixth sense of animals during the tsunami. ESP in humans may well be defined by that extra something that animals and people have in common--the ability to tune in to things because of heightened senses.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
Letty, I find it amazing that no animal corpses have been found yet in the tsunami areas. From National Geographic: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0104_050104_tsunami_animals.html#main
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
WOW! Cav. The part about that article that caught my eye was the fact that man has lost his sixth sense.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
I think that man has been losing that sixth sense for a long time, as we become more goal-driven, and disconnected from the world around us. Think of what "being connected" means to us today, cell phones, pagers, e-mail, online chat, all of it unnatural, really. Helpful and fun, but not of the earth.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
You right, Cav. If I recall correctly, the appendix was once a second stomach, and now is just a hazard to us. Man invents and then his inventions control him.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:29 am
It's why I constantly promote hunting and fishing. I get grief for it, but I won't give up.
0 Replies