Have Israelis Just Uncovered The Smoking Gun?

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:12 pm
I would certainly like to learn more of this:

Saddam BodyguardDefects

Saddam's bodyguard warns of secret arsenal

02feb03

SADDAM Hussein's senior bodyguard has fled with details of Iraq's secret arsenal.

His revelations have supported US President George W. Bush's claim there is enough evidence from UN inspectors to justify going to war.
Abu Hamdi Mahmoud has provided Israeli intelligence with a list of sites that the inspectors have not visited.

They include:

AN underground chemical weapons facility at the southern end of the Jadray Peninsula in Baghdad;

A SCUD assembly area near Ramadi. The missiles come from North Korea;

TWO underground bunkers in Iraq's Western Desert. These contain biological weapons.

William Tierney, a former UN weapons inspector who has continued to gather information on Saddam's arsenal, said Mahmoud's information is "the smoking gun".

"Once the inspectors go to where Mahmoud has pointed them, then it's all over for Saddam," Tierney said.

Tierney, who has high-level contacts in Washington that go to the White House, said the information we publish today on Mahmoud's revelations "checks out, absolutely checks out".

Should this prove out, some positions likely will change.

timber
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,876 • Replies: 35
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:15 pm
I will watch with interest.

Any places you can direct us for the story?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:20 pm
WOW! If this proves out, there is no question that Saddam needs to be removed forceably, and fast! Mad
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:27 pm
That is what I always thought: maybe, this information was available long ago, but this was impossible to disclose it without endangering the active intelligence agents on the Iraqi territory. Maybe, this bodyguard was one of such agents... Israelis managed to insert a spy into the close environment of the Syrian dictator (forgot his name) in early '60s (he was disclosed and executed in 1965). Maybe, abu Hamdi Mahmoud was also a Mossad agent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:48 pm
Well, up to this minute, it's only the 'herald Sun' reporting about this.

Would be really interesting to do some further read, especially before arguing and speculating.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:51 pm
Couldn't find anything in the Jerusalem Post!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:57 pm
Maybe, it will appear in the global media tomorrow. Melbourne local time is +9 hours if compared to this in Jerusalem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:59 pm
steissd

Do you believe, news agencies are sleeping here?
Besides, I've just seen an updated report about Iraq with live commenatries from different countries, including Israel: nothing mentioned (that was 15 mins ago).
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:01 pm
OK, we shall see tomorrow or one more day later. Right now the news agencies devote majority of their reports to the space shuttle disaster.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:13 pm
1/28/2003
http://www.bushcountry.org/news/jan_news_pages/n_012803_saddam-bodyguard-reveals-secret-arsenal.htm

1/29/2003

http://us.altnews.com.au/print.php?sid=4105

1/30/2003
http://www.financialsense.com/stormwatch/geo/analysis.htm

http://www.indycymru.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Search&file=index&action=search&overview=1&active_stories=1&stories_author=DarkerCloud

Reliable sources??

http://www.globe-intel.net/ this is the quoted source of the first link
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:25 pm
I don't know, if the 'Herald Sun' is a paper of an extremely high standard, but it claims to be " Australia's biggest-selling daily newspaper, and the Sunday Herald Sun, the biggest-selling paper in Victoria".

So, perhaps your quotations, ul, are as reliable as this Australian newspaper. Or vice versa. Question :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:30 pm
Certainly possible. Also, certainly possible it's not true. We'll see how this plays out. But I'm somewhat confounded that Mossad or Likud would publish rather than keep revelations secret so that the inspectors could get there without a broad news alert and time delay.

But even if so...whether an immediate attack on Iraq or no is not a closed question.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
I agree with blatham. Will certainly keep tuned, though.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:34 pm
Walter,
I am questioning the sources I found.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:40 pm
Me too, ul!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:03 pm
stratfor has this, unrelated, but possibly as damning.

Quote:
German BND Might Have Evidence Of Iraqi Chemical Labs
Feb 01, 2003

German weekly Focus reported Feb. 1 that August Hanning, head of Germany's foreign intelligence service (BND), recently informed the German Parliament's foreign affairs committee that the BND has evidence of Iraqi mobile laboratories for the production of chemical and biological weapons. According to Hanning, the laboratories were built using some German components.

This if true could bring about a shift in Official German Position in the matter.

stratfor ( www.stratfor.com ), a paid-subscription "Hard News and Analysis" provider, is not known for inaccurate reporting, nor are they given much to editoriaizing. Should they update with info related to the supposed Israeli coup, I will be e-mailed an alert.

I sure wouldn't put such a thing past MOSAD ... them boys is slick. Still, there has been no official Israeli or US announcement that I have been able to find. It is very possible the Columbia Tragedy has the full focus of The Media at the moment. We shall see.

timber
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:18 pm
The plot thickens. Stay tuned! :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:22 pm
FT-Rueters German Report

Whether or not The Bodyguard has any muscle, the German Connection seems to have legs. Monday promises to be a Big News Day.

timber
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:35 pm
timber
This seems rather too clumsy for Mossad. If false, and if originating in mid-east (as opposed to Dallas or Bend, Oregon), then I'd suspect some Likud hack. But that's just me having fun guessing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:23 pm
The German Connection seems to be getting better Early Box Office than The Bodyguard. The first article linked below indicates Powell's Presentation may well include the BND intelligence (thus risking disclosure of none of our own proprietary sources or means). If so, it will place Schroeder in a most unenviable position. The second article is one of many similar now coming accross the news service updates.

I begin to suspect the weight of the Bodyguard story, but something dramatic is surely afoot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8478-2003Jan31.html

Quote:
U.S. Aims to Prove Iraq Has Secret Cache

By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 1, 2003; Page A16

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein is hiding mobile biological weapons laboratories from international weapons inspectors in violation of U.N. Security Council demands, according to the Bush administration, which hopes to convince a world audience next week of the existence of the secret facilities as proof of Iraqi intransigence.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5925048%255E1702,00.html

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AFP
back PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION EMAIL THIS STORY

Iraq has mobile 'bioweapons labs'

February 02, 2003
GERMANY'S intelligence service believes Iraq has mobile laboratories capable of developing and producing chemical and biologial weapons, according to a German weekly magazine.

The laboratories are hidden in trucks that appear completely normal from the outside, Focus magazine says, quoting the results of an investigation by the intelligence service, BND.

A BND spokesman was not immediately available for comment on the report.

Damned Weekends ... tough times for news junkies. Why couldn't this have happened during normal business hours? Grrrrrrrr.

timber
0 Replies