Michael Flynn: Trump's national security adviser resigns

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:27 am
Quote:
US National Security Adviser Michael Flynn has resigned over allegations he discussed US sanctions with Russia before Donald Trump took office.

Mr Flynn is said to have misled officials about his call with Russia's ambassador before his own appointment.
US reports earlier said the White House had been warned about the contacts last month and was told Mr Flynn may be vulnerable to Russian blackmail.

The national security adviser is appointed by the president to serve as his or her chief adviser on international affairs and defence.
In his letter of resignation (PDF), Mr Flynn said he had "inadvertently briefed the vice-president-elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian ambassador" late last year.

A White House statement said Lt Gen Joseph Keith Kellogg had been appointed as interim replacement for the post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38965557

He didn't last long. I guess the moral of the story is, if you're going to spy for the Russians best not to be too in your face about it.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:12 am
So he was inadvertently fired.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:18 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm glad he's been replaced by a bowl of cereal.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:29 am
@izzythepush,
Drip replaced by flake.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:22 am
What the hell was a guy with a TV show on the Kremlin's own network, RT, (for Russia Today), doing as a national security advisor? It's insane that Flynn even had the job for a single day.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:40 am
@Blickers,
Trump has his own World view and seems more interested in listening to those who share his World view than in finding out what's really going on. His presidency is still only three weeks old.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:29 pm
Blood is in the water now. The sharks will come.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 01:29 am
@rosborne979,
It's about time they started tearing each other to pieces.
roger

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 01:34 am
@rosborne979,
Even if the Senate keeps approving his appointments?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:34 am
Quote:
Leading members of the US Republican Party have joined calls for a wide investigation into the former national security adviser's links with Russia.

On Tuesday, a White House spokesman said Mr Trump knew weeks ago there were problems with the Russia phone calls.

The development came as the New York Times reported that phone records and intercepted calls show members of Mr Trump's presidential campaign, as well as other Trump associates, "had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election".

However, officials spoken to by the newspaper said they had not yet seen evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia on the hacking of the Democratic National Committee or to influence the election.

As well as an FBI investigation, both the Senate and House intelligence committees are already examining Russian involvement in the election. It is not yet clear whether the latest claims will be included in their scope.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38977644
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 08:05 am
@roger,
Quote:
Even if the Senate keeps approving his appointments?

Perhaps they can't bring themselves to throw stones
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's about time they started tearing each other to pieces.

I'm sure this has been in the works from the beginning. Trump is neither a Dem nor a Repub, he's a Trumpian, and he's been fighting the establishments on both sides from the beginning. I'm sure that the old-guard Republican Establishment would like nothing better than to "Dump the Trump and Commence with the Pence". They just need a politically effective way to do it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:11 am
@rosborne979,
It's not just the party politicians either, he now seems to be looking for a fight with the intelligence services. That looks like a really stupid thing to be doing.

Quote:
President Donald Trump has lashed out at the US intelligence community and media after new reports of contacts between members of his team and Russia.

Mr Trump accused the National Security Agency (NSA) and FBI of giving out information illegally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38983742
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's not just the party politicians either, he now seems to be looking for a fight with the intelligence services.

I think it's the whole "Establishment" structure of Washington he's up against. I'm not a fan of Trump, but I almost feel sorry for him. My guess is that he's probably got very few real friends, and a lot of very sneaky and well entrenched enemies just waiting for their opportunity.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:54 am
@rosborne979,
I'd probably feel sorry for him too if he wasn't such a narcissistic blowhard with an aversion to the truth.

He doesn't exactly make it easy for himself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:51 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Blood is in the water now. The sharks will come.

This situation feels like it's edging its way toward feeding frenzy. Meanwhile there's a great big Russian White Shark circling wide and launching cruise missiles and deploying spy vessels off Montauk Point... probing... waiting... testing. Trump is swimming with the serious fishes now.
Blickers

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 01:27 am
@rosborne979,
Plus the Russians probably really do have video of Trump doing pervy stuff with young girls. When he ran a series of teenage beauty shows with 14 and 15 year old girls, he just walked right in on them when they were dressing. All the time.

So the Russkies probably got a ton of stuff on him, and can blackmail him.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 02:58 am
@Blickers,
What's been rumoured is likely very tame compared to the real dirt.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
What's been rumoured is likely very tame compared to the real dirt.

I tend to think the rumors are probably complete bullshit, until someone comes up with some evidence.
0 Replies