water as a liquid and as a gas..

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
Hi,

What is the difference between water as liquid and as a gas?.I know of the different states they have .Considering they have the same structure and the same bonds ( I guess ) , 2 hydrogene attached with one oxegene .So , what is the difference ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
I'm sure someone can give you a very technical answer, but the simple difference is temperature. When water gets hot enough, it becomes a gas (steam). And when it gets cold enough, it becomes a solid (ice).
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:04 pm
technically water becomes a vapor after it boils and does not become a gas unless the steam is heated to about 1000 degrees c = 1832 degrees f. the theory has something to do with shared bonds, I think. Neil
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:35 am
but what about the bonds between the hydrogene and the oxgene , are they disrupted when water became vapor ?!
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:39 am
No. Heat excites the water molecules, causing them to lose cohesion with eachother and break away into the atmosphere, but it does not affect the actual water molecule. If you are interested in a mechanism of breaking down water molecules, you might do a search on the following phrase: "Electrolysis of water"
0 Replies

neil

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:10 am
The atomic bonds are typically much stronger than the molecular bonds. When the steam is heated to about 10,000 degrees c = 18,032 degrees f the hydrogen and oxygen dissociate into ions and we have plasma, a 4th or 5 th state of matter. Other than nuclear devices and lightning, that hot is rarely possible on Earth's surface.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:54 am
Correct. Atomic bonds are extremely difficult to break(think atomic bomb. a mass of large atoms(unstable) is pressurized to a point where its mass has nowhere to go but outward. Implosion is also a method, but that is very complex.) However, molecules are a collection of joined atoms, they share electrons. There are zero forces on earth that can break water and result in positive energy output. It all breaks the Laws of Thermodynamics.
Coming to my senses, I am not quite sure I understand the point of your previous post. Your plasma/temprature point is correct, but cannot be dupllicate by humans.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:21 am
we have just learned this today :wink:
we can also use the electric power to break up a water molecule.
It will be lluxurious you wanna use heat to achieve it
0 Replies

Methos

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:39 pm
neil wrote:
Other than nuclear devices and lightning, that hot is rarely possible on Earth's surface.

Natural plasmas (ones that last for long) aren't overly on the Earth, but my lab typically has 11 plasmas running every day (with several more that we rarely operate), and (of the 11) 7 of those are ICPs running in 'hot plasma' conditions, i.e. at about 10,000 K. A plasma screen television has an individual microplasma for each pixel (and has millions of pixels).

To the original question, the difference between gaseous water and liquid water is the intermolecular bonds. Each water molecule consists of 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, but there are weaker bonds, called hydrogen bonds, binding the hydrogen atoms of one molecule to the oxygen atoms of the next. These bonds are weak enough that they are constantly breaking - which is why water doesn't maintain a shape well, but strong enough that they keep the water from scattering in all directions. Water gas is hot enough (that is, has enough energy) to break these bonds. Liquid water is hot enough to break them, but not to keep them broken. Solid water (ice) does not have enough energy to break these bonds to a significant degree, so it maintains its shape.

PS - "atomic bond" is the wrong term. An atomic bond is a bond between two atoms. The word peopel were lookign for, based on your descriptions, was nuclear bond.
0 Replies