@edgarblythe,
Capital J Capital M.

http://tim.zymurgy.org/judgemental/judgemental.gif
0 Replies

centrox

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:13 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Re spelling of judgmental, I've spelled it wrong on purpose for decades. I seem to remember that not every magazine or newspaper spells it without the e, and seeing a defense of using the e somewhere.

British English (spelling in general contexts): judgement
British English (legal contexts): judgment
North American English: judgment
centrox

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:33 am
@centrox,
At least, this is what I was taught:
centrox wrote:
British English (spelling in general contexts): judgement
British English (legal contexts): judgment
North American English: judgment
centrox

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:43 am
In American English, judgement is generally considered a misspelling of judgment for all uses of the word, notwithstanding individual preferences. In British popular usage, judgment was traditionally the preferred form, but judgement has gained ground over the last couple of centuries and is now nearly as common as judgment.

Pay no attention to the myth, widely repeated on the web, that judgement is the original spelling and that judgment is a 19th-century American invention. This is simply untrue.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:56 am
@centrox,
Well, I looked it up online re both casts re judg(e)ment, and in the first cluster of my checks, the worst they said about it was that using the e was an alternative, not incorrect, including in the US. I can see it could be insisted on for lawyers.

I remember being taught that using the e was wrong, but both edgarb and I are almost the same old age, and my being taught that was long ago. I've read otherwise since, including maybe on a2k.

A lot of the books I've read have been written by Brits or translated by Brits, so I lean in that direction at least some of the time... in this case, it's because I like the Brit spelling. I've done that with other words too.

I can be a rule breaker anyway. I capitalize less than most folks on a2k, no matter the grammar rules, and even worse, I fool around with word usage and spelling on purpose from time to time. That is, I do that besides ordinary typos.

This is all a tangent to the food conversation, my bad of course.
hightor

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:07 pm
A local farming coop decided to donate fresh produce to the our island high school. So the cafeteria staff put out a nice big bowl of local, red, ripe tomatoes next to the usual bowl of pink, pasty, store-bought tomatoes — and the students chose the hard, flavorless commercial ones. I think, compared to what they were used to, the "real" ones looked fake.
0 Replies

centrox

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 01:08 pm
I remember my kids didn't want to eat spaghetti that didn't come out of a can for quite a while. I won 'em round eventually.

0 Replies

centrox

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 01:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
in this case, it's because I like the Brit spelling.

I think judgement looks nicer with that 'e' in the middle. Judgment looks kind of harsh. Maybe I am conditioned to think of it as something that comes from a law court, and they generally are not a lot of fun.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
The only time we make hard boiled eggs is during Easter to decorate them. Granted my kids have seen them, but typically they like their eggs scrambled, over easy or as an omelet. I think hard boiled eggs are too plain - that might be why they haven't seen them before.

Were there other instances where they didn't recognize traditional food? Because I kind of get the impression that kids like more regular food - they seem to not like things that are odd colors - for instance yeck what is that green stuff in there?!! The plainer the better so I almost would have expected the opposite.
Linkat

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
Just thought of another thing - how old are these kids? If they are very young like toddler age, I would imagine that the parents if they served them hard boiled eggs would prepare it for them - peel, mash it up and add whatever seasoning they may like.

I wouldn't give a toddler a hard boiled egg without doing that as they could choke on it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 04:06 pm
I've been eating hard boiled eggs as far back as I can remember. Still do.

Rarely deal with scrambled eggs away from home as they could be fake (powdered) and I got deathly ill from that once. Don't trust poached eggs. Despise deviled eggs. I stay with hard boil and soft boil and over easy and the occasional omelette or egg sandwich. Don't care for egg salad either although I do put a chopped egg in my potato salad.
0 Replies

Timaeuslee

Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Time changed. I live in China but I sometimes feel the same. My father told me that when he was young, family was poor and didn't have much to eat. At daytime, parents must work on the farm and have little time to cook for the kids. All kids in a poor family must learn to cook themselves. Gradually, kids learn the knowledge of traditional food. However, at my age, living condition in family has been greatly improved. Kids have parents that can take good care of. We feed kids with industrialized food like bread and milk. I don't think it is a bad phenomenon for kids who know little about traditional food. They can have more time learning new knowledge that is more important for them to adapt to such a competitive society.
0 Replies