Kids don't recognize traditional food

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 06:01 am
My wife cooks for a day school, so designated after being a day care for years. She is discovering some interesting facts about the kids' diets. They don't always recognize traditional fare. Most recently, she had a surplus of eggs. She boiled and peeled them and gave them to the kids at snack time. They didn't know what they were. One even tried to bounce his. She gave me other examples that I can't bring to mind just now. All I can derive from this information is, they must have parents who feed processed foods, mostly. I could kind of anticipate this in some parts of the country, but in Tomball? I wonder how widespread is the phenomenon?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 31
Topic Closed
No top replies

Skeleton

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:06 am
Tradition is meaningless, to me at least. I don't have any traditions myself. That being said, I know what a hard boiled egg is. Then again, some parents don't feed their kids hard boiled eggs, who gives a donkey's left nostril what they feed their kids. It's not a phenomenon, you're just old and judgemental.
ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:12 am
Maybe their parents don't like hard boiled eggs. I might eat one if I were starving, but maybe not until the third day of starving. On the other hand, I do like scrambled eggs, probably having them when I was a little kid. Well beaten scrambled eggs, that is. I don't remember my parents ever making hard boiled eggs, so maybe they didn't like them either. I only ran into them at a friend's house when I was nine.

If you remember the other things, post them..
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:32 am
@Skeleton ,
Skeleton wrote:

Tradition is meaningless, to me at least. I don't have any traditions myself. That being said, I know what a hard boiled egg is. Then again, some parents don't feed their kids hard boiled eggs, who gives a donkey's left nostril what they feed their kids. It's not a phenomenon, you're just old and judgemental.
[/quote
I could say a few things back, but I don't think it would take. You spelled judgmental wrong.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:34 am
@ossobucotemp,
I could understand some of the kids. But a whole school of them?
ehBeth

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I could kind of anticipate this in some parts of the country, but in Tomball?

this struck my eye

did you think Tomball was different from the rest of North America for some reason? that being said, I see people eating hard-boiled eggs on the subway fairly regularly, so most public transit users (in Toronto at least) would recognize a hard-boiled egg as food.
ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:48 am
@edgarblythe,
A whole school class of them not recognizing them would surprise me now.

Re spelling of judgmental, I've spelled it wrong on purpose for decades. I seem to remember that not every magazine or newspaper spells it without the e, and seeing a defense of using the e somewhere.
ehBeth

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:50 am
@Skeleton ,
Charm school drop-out?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:54 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
I could kind of anticipate this in some parts of the country, but in Tomball?

this struck my eye

did you think Tomball was different from the rest of North America for some reason? that being said, I see people eating hard-boiled eggs on the subway fairly regularly, so most public transit users (in Toronto at least) would recognize a hard-boiled egg as food.

I see us as being pretty much country, even though we are being swallowed up by Houston. I still see chickens running around in quite a few yards.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:59 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

A whole school class of them not recognizing them would surprise me now.

Re spelling of judgmental, I've spelled it wrong on purpose for decades. I seem to remember that not every magazine or newspaper spells it without the e, and seeing a defense of using the e
somewhere.

I see major organizations, such as CBS TV news, spelling words wrong these days. I have never been a spelling Nazi, but it seems to be getting out of hand.
ehBeth

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Urban chickens are on-trend.
ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:29 am
@edgarblythe,
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/judgemental

One of the sites I checked said that judgemental was used in the UK about as often as judgmental was - sorry, no link now.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:40 am
@ehBeth,
All the more reasons kids should know about eggs.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:41 am
@ossobucotemp,
I don't care about UK spelling, except for occasions calling for UK spelling.
ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
My point is that using the e is not considered wrong as such, but as alternative, even in the US.
ehBeth

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:49 am
@edgarblythe,
The thing is I think urban kids do. I expect semi-rural kids to be more about convenience foods and not about health foods. That's my bias showing.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:52 am
@ossobucotemp,
I disagree. But I don't want to spend the day arguing the point.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:53 am
@ehBeth,
Okay.
0 Replies

Skeleton

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:56 am
Hard boiled eggs are good anyway, I see no reason anyone shouldn't eat them. What I like to do is cut them in half and remove the yolks, then fill the whites with salt and replace the yolks and eat them. So good. I like salt.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:58 am
@Skeleton ,
Cool Hand Luke ate fifty of them.
0 Replies