electronic device?

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 04:53 pm
I thought of an interesting device today which could measure the current passing through a wire without needing to actually go in series with the circuit, by amplifying the magnetic field from a variable solenoid (whose turns could be adjusted for sensetivity) and then measuring the induced current in a separate circuit loop in the circuit. does this device exist already, and what's it called if it does?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 7
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
The fellow who came out to repair my air conditioner had some device that would measure the current being used without touching the wires. I have no idea how it worked, though.

(Turned out to be a bad breaker, not a unit pulling too much power.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:50 pm
What you are referring to could be (and is) called an "inductive ammeter".

Snap-On Model MT110
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:02 pm
Merlins,

A current carrying wire produces a magnetic field around the wire in a clockwise direction with magnitude equal to:

B=u0*I/2PiR (Ampere's law)

Where B is the magnetic field magnitude, u0 is the permitivity of free space (a constant), and R is the radial distance from the wire (a known constant when you are measuring).

When magnetic flux passes through a conductive loop, the magnetic flux will simply be the dot product of the magnetic field with the area of the loop (from the area vector normal to the plane). For a small loop the strength of the field can be assumed constant.

IE, Phi = BAcos(wt) (Faraday's law)

It so happens that the derivative of the magnetic flux is the same as the electromotive force, ie, potential electric difference, ie voltage.

This loop will also have some resistance R, and we know from Ohm's law that V=IR.

Therefore, the current that will be induced in this loop which is near to the wire will be:

I = -wBAsin(wt)/R

This current can be measured with an ammeter, and the equations can be used to determine the original current of the wire in question.

Small currents will produce small magnetic fields which will induce small magnetic currents...to measure smaller currents, therefore, we can multiply the effect of the induced current by multiplying the number of loops by the same factor.

Thus, we use a solenoid with N loops and mulitply our answer by N.

And then all of the math of this can be combined using digital logic gates to construct multiplers etc, but I don't think I will go into that detailed of an explanation Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:40 pm
(embarrased face)

Yes...I just realized a very fatal flaw in the above description...

this device would only measure the change in the current in the desired wire...rather than the actual current...

Thus...it could be used to measure the precise current in an AC wire, although the math would be a bit more complicated...and I do not think it could be used to measure DC current...
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
Twenty years ago I calibrated some clamp on ampmeters that measured dc. Perhaps the magnetic field cancelled some of the field of a permanent magnet to cause the pointer to move. I believe a satuable core reactor can also measure dc, but the instrument would need an internal source of ac, but that is easy with a small battery and an intigrated circuit. Hall effect maybe? Neil
0 Replies

Mo Funds

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:07 am
Dude, just go to Radio Shack.

Smile
0 Replies

Methos

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm
Yes, this has been done.
0 Replies