Man-children of the 80's .. come here

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
Well, I would, except I just noticed my wife stole the CD to listen to on her way to work...grrrrr....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:05 am
This is still a thread about stripping music, right?

hingehead wrote:
Not my choice but wasn't Joe Cocker's 'You can leave your hat on' used as backing for strip in a movie?

I think you're talking about Kim Basinger stripping to it in 9 1/2 weeks. Great scene.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:20 pm
Kim Basinger can strip to anything and make it good. ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:06 pm
Heh - we was just talking bout all this music - then I came home ... :wink:

Anyway, in answer to your question shewolf, I was thinking ... Elysian Fields - Bend Your Mind.

Its not actually from the eighties, I guess - but it has enough of an eighties feeling about it. And I think it's very, very sexy ...

<nods>

Hey, you know whose voice usta be sexy - Bjork, Sugarcubes era - especially when she sang in Icelandic. Got this 12" of Cold Sweat, with a few Icelandic tracks, incl. a version of Birthday ... beautiful. And a niiice voice ...

Siouxie had a sexy voice sometimes too btw ... well, she was sexy, period. Bit too gothic for your question probably tho (like the Bjork one above) - but ...

And I personally thought Daisy Chainsaw had a sexy voice ... like in, "I hope all your dreams come true" ... But then, I go for disturbed women apparently.

Hmmm ... "Sexy voices" ... now that could be a topic of its own ... the other ones I'm thinking of are, like, 90s and mostly black, so they probly wont work for this thread ...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
Someone mentioned A Flock of Seagulls. A friend had a band that opened for them (once) during the height of their popularity, and played to their largest audience of about 1500 people.

A few years later, he got a call asking if they'd like to open for them again. The wound up at this dumpy bar somewhere near San Francisco, sure enough, there was the FoS tour bus. After they finished their set, they realized the only people in the bar were themselves and their friends/girlfriends/etc. So they stayed just so FoS would have an audience. He told me that was the night he decided to back to school and get a degree.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
<grins>

Yeah, pretty much.

My sister followed around this band for a while (OK, a long while) - they were this wave band that never quite made it in the UK, but in Holland had a following of their own. They usta play in all the usual places a band from abroad would tour - t Paard in the Hague, Tivoli in Utrecht, Paradiso or the Melkweg in Amsterdam, etc. But then they became less well-known, and they split up for a while before reuniting once again, but without major record label deal ...

and then one evening, they were playing in a bar called "Naar Boven" (To Upstairs), which is called like that because its basically a big stairway (and not all that big either), with the band playing on the top step. Every time someone had to go to the toilet, the bass player had to step aside to let him pass. It was the bass player's birthday. That was the night they decided to call it a day and give up.

My sister still visits them in England every so often ... one guy works at the market, stand selling leather bags and stuff. Another is taking care of his baby while his wive earns the money. A third works as a ... I dont remember. Only one of 'em has gone on to produce some promising new bands in the region.

Fifteen years of touring, lots of critical acclaim, and then ... yeah, pretty much.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:43 pm
Wasn't Mike Score (the singer) a hairdresser before the had a hit? Always nice to have a trade to fall back on....
0 Replies

nfranzen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
Have to go with Joe Cocker's "You can leave your hat on". Make sure a fedora is close by.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:17 pm
Crue-Shout at The Devil
Whitesnake-Slide It In
Bullet Boys-Smooth Up In Ya
Van Halen-Pananma or Unchained
Kiss-Lick It Up
AC/DC-Giving The Dog A Bone
0 Replies