Man-children of the 80's .. come here

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
LOL Cav / cjhsa ...

nimh <-- too, crimped his hair ... and dyed it black ... and listened to the Cure, Echo, Siouxie, the lot ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
(You can leave your hat on was definitely in the Full Monty -- might have been somewhere else too though.)

I didn't crimp my hair, not that it was necessary. BIG hair. Long and curly and BIG, all by itself.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:19 am
I was big into punk as well, and batcave. Bauhaus were a favourite, and Alien Sex Fiend, Specimen, and of course, Sex Gang Children. Also, Fields of the Nephilim...the greatest hits double cd is a must for any ex-goth.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
Fields of the Nephilim was after my time, I think ... and I hated The Mission. But I really liked the Sisters of Mercy - bit over the top and all, but good, like Alice for example ...

But yeah in the end I liked the old punk better than the postpunk/goth thing, it had more energy, more kick.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:48 am
Mrs. cav was a huge Sisters of Mercy fan. The Nephilim, I think, was formed in 1983. I agree about the old punk vs. the postpunk/goth thing, but I liked both. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:44 am
cavfancier wrote:
Mrs. cav was a huge Sisters of Mercy fan. The Nephilim, I think, was formed in 1983.

Hmm, that early?

Time I was into that kind of music - I mean, postpunk, goth, new wave, indie, whatever - was basically ... Well, I had an older sister who was into all the wave stuff so I was goin around with Echo, 999 and Depeche Mode buttons back when I was in primary school ... <grins> ... but myself, like, I dunno - second to fourth class (first time) in high school - thats ... 84 to 87?

I kept listening to alternative/guitar stuff after that as well, when i got into hip-hop, reggea, funk, soul ... but not the whiny Cure/Smiths-kind stuff anymore.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
Heh heh, sounds familiar nimh. I discovered all that too, including jazz and blues, and later, Celtic music, that kinda turned me off to the old stuff I used to listen to. Once in a while though, I still like to listen to it for nostalgia value. I still think that NIN's last release, The Fragile (double CD) is a masterpiece, especially in the production. I'm not sure if you know Skinny Puppy, they are a Canadian industrial band from the 80s who broke in the States....they actually have a new album out. Shocked I haven't listened to it yet, but it's sitting there on the coffee table...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Anyone up for an Eiensturzende Neubauten reunion tour?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:27 am
>gasp<

I can not believe that i KNOW these bands... oh jeezzee.. Does this mean i am old???? HAHHA

I was into punk/heavy metal in high school. Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Death, Motorhead, some Celtic Frost... and yes I liked the whiney stuff..The cure, even Depeche mode..
( I think i will hide now. )
HAhahha.
Oh yes Soz, Farah hair? Had it. Daisy Duke shorts? Done it. Big Plastic earrings? gosh, I think I still have some.
Spandex pants, leg warmers, sweaters with the sleeves cut off and HUGE belts... Man I was sexy
HAHA!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
shewolfnm, when 'I Ran' by Flock of Seagulls is being used to sell Pepsi, yes we are all old.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Celtic Frost were intense...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
cavfancier wrote:
The last thing any man wants in a striptease is a period piece,

Umm.... ok.. eww Laughing
Are we speaking from experience? HAHAH
Wait.. I dont want an answer to that.. never mind. Shocked
Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:44 am
Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:46 am
FLock of seagulls... >sigh<

Ramones anyone?
heres one..

Whip it.... whip it good.. heheh
name that tune!! hahaha
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:48 am
You should try web radio site Live365. or.. 365Live one of the two.
Anyway, they have th greatest 80/70's punk metal and hair band stations I have found in a while.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:53 am
shewolfnm wrote:
FLock of seagulls... >sigh<

Ramones anyone?
heres one..

Whip it.... whip it good.. heheh
name that tune!! hahaha

Easy, Devo, Whip It.

Ramones, yes, I wanna be sedated.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
cavfancier wrote:
I'm not sure if you know Skinny Puppy, they are a Canadian industrial band from the 80s who broke in the States....they actually have a new album out. Shocked

Yeah I remember Skinny Puppy! I had an album of theirs on some tape ... back in high school ... mid-80s. Pretty hefty. Also Cassandra Complex, did you know them? Kinda same category, like, electro-goth or something. I saw them in concert, back then, intense.

Flock of Seagulls! LOL! They were kind of a joke, I mean, we'd use them as a joke -

Talking of goths, electro and sex, you had this spin-off from like, the dark electronica that came out of goth - it got all mixed up with the new house/rave scene - so you got this kind of dark, heavy version of house - electronic body music, new beat. I have this new beat sampler from, i dunno, 89 or so? Its kinda clunky compared to regular house but it had lots of heavy sighing and orgasmic pleading mixed through the beats ...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:06 am
I know "of" The Cassandra Complex, but don't have any music by them. There was a local band here called Norda, later reformed as Sturm Group that I really liked. Sadly, I do not have Norda's 'West Over Seas' on MP3, just on vinyl. I doubt it's availible on the 'net, but you never know.

Flock of Seagulls were a joke, and actually, the Pepsi commercial made a joke out of it as well.

Yeah, I'm not too much into the newer spin-offs, i.e dark electronica, trance...I think most of it is just not done properly, but I'm sure there are still some good artists out there in that genre.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:10 am
Skinn puppy has a new album? what is it called?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:12 am
"The Greater Wrong of the Right" heh heh. I think I'm going to put it on now.
0 Replies