The usage of inverted commas in British English

Nat093

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:37 pm
@dalehileman,
'head' refers to the right-hand element
'modifier' refers to the left-hand element

So in marble museum, museum is the head, whereas marble is the modifier.

The compound marble museum is a Noun + Noun construction.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:27 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
The compound marble museum is a Noun + Noun construction.
Nat you can see how confusion might creep in where the reader assumes 'marble' to be adjective
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:02 am
@centrox,
But in academic writing, you use italics to cite a word/phrase, right?

E.g. the word stretecher means 'a type of bed used to carry sick people'.
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:06 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

But in academic writing, you use italics to cite a word/phrase, right?

E.g. the word stretecher means 'a type of bed used to carry sick people'.

You can use italics, or quotes, or bold, etc depending on the style guidance of the publisher or institution.
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:09 am
@centrox,
OK, thank you.

In a notebook, however, if I want to write the same sentence, should I do like this? Is it fine?

The word 'stretcher' means 'a type of bed used to carry sick people'.

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:12 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

OK, thank you.

In a notebook, however, if I want to write the same sentence, should I do like this? Is it fine?

The word 'stretcher' means 'a type of bed used to carry sick people'.

That is fine. You can do whatever you want in a notebook, even use underlining or different colour ink. You need to understand the difference between a rule and a convention.
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:07 am
@centrox,
Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:07 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
1. One compound may have different interpretations. For instance, marble museum as ‘a museum built with marble’ will be uttered with stress on the head, but with the meaning ‘a museum where marble objects are displayed’, it will receive stress on the modifier.
Nat again I must congratulate you once more for your interest in our goofy language and your determination. The esl, your Average Clod (me), and the old folk (me again) might have spent the better part of an hour deciphering your otherwise perfectly straightforward q

For instance, owing to my ignorance of the terms 'head' and I had interpreted it to ask whether or not you should place the 'a' before 'marble,' and wondering whether you were also concerned whether it should be in italic (which incidentally set me to wondering when one uses the singular or plural of that word). Only the kind patience on your part in further explanations resolved what you had meant by 'modifier,' ad I had interpreted that possibly to mean 'a' as a modifier of 'marble museum'....

...especially after " 'head' refers to the right-hand element [and]
'modifier' refers to the left-hand element," since some of us might have thought 'a' to be the one to the left

Note To TAATANE: Cmon fellas, I'm just sorta kiddin' for the chuckle value, which I realize, unfortunately, that you don't have

God but I'm a mean bastard

Again Nat most sincere admiration, fellow fussbudget and precisionist.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:27 pm
@dalehileman,
Note to Mgmt if you're listening: Please please please quit the practice of contiually cutting the box short every time, then in the middle of my editing effort, refusing me further work. For those bothered by my typos and apparent grammatical errors,

https://able2know.org/topic/366971-1
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.19 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:52:21