Dog going in house.

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:50 am
Edit (Moderator): Moved from General to Pets & Garden

Hi everybody. Hope someone has an idea. Older female dog always house trained. Her owner and son moved in with me and the dog has constantly gone 1 and 2 inside. Has started to go out sometimes. Dogs owner is always home and available to take dog out. Takes her out several times a day with no luck, then dog will poo or pee 5 minutes later in various different places. Big question is... could a large amount of wild animals in back yard make dog feel like she is the intruder? As in rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs ( 4 of em) 2 skunks, chipmunks. occassionally deer and even a bear now and again. Could she be smelling the other scents and not want to mark "her territory"? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. Toadster
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 2
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm
Have the owner walk the dog around outside until she poops and pees. It may take a l~o~n~g while, but has to be done if you want her to go outside (might even take hours.) For peeing, I have, on occasion, massaged the bladder area of my dogs to get them to go... Then you praise them and they get the idea. It works great in puppies! Not sure if it would work to teach an old dog the trick.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 01:55 pm
You may have to revert to puppy style training. When in the house, keep them in a cage only big enough for them to lay down in. They won't go in there, and will let you know when they need to. They typically learn pretty fast this way, then you can start letting them out more.
0 Replies