She just passed a short time ago.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 9

Blickers

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 02:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow, what a TV pioneer she was. She achieved stardom playing Dick Van Dyke's wife-which for most actresses would be the height of their career-and then went up, up, up, from there.

You really can't talk about the history of TV without talking about her.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:09 pm
@Blickers,
I just finished reading wiki about her.. a very talented woman, lots of troubles, including type 1 diabetes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Tyler_Moore
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:38 pm
I saw her on TV before I knew who she was. Hotpoint commercials and as the secretary on Richard Diamond, Master Detective. I loved the Mary Tyler Moore Show, until Chloris Leachman's character annoyed me away from watching.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 02:39 am
@edgarblythe,
I remember watching it as a kid on a Saturday sandwiched between Basil Brush and Doctor Who. I can't remember much about it save that I liked it, and there was a hat throwing bit as well.

It's always a shame when someone passes.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 08:03 am
loved her in the Dick Van Dyke Show, perhaps even more than her own show
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 10:41 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/StantS/2017/StantS20170126_low.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 09:11 am
@edgarblythe,
That's hilarious!! You know snood was sweet on Cloris. (Yeah, I don't get it either).

I loved the newsroom banter. Lou got away with murder.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 01:32 pm
Just came across an interesting bit in her Wiki page. I knew about the Richard Diamond legs shot, (we watched the show when I was young). We also watched the Danny Thomas show. Thomas was a very famous comic and actor back in the fifties, and he made a lot of jokes about his Lebanese heritage, especially his large nose. For instance, when bragging to his family that he knew how something worked, he would point to his protruding proboscis and say triumphantly, "The nose knows...".

Anyway, Mary Tyler Moore auditioned for the role of his eldest daughter in Thomas' show and got turned down. Nothing unusual there, but was unusual was that Thomas went on to produce a new show starring Dick Van Dyke. Surprisingly, he remembered the actress he earlier rejected, contacted her and pushed for her hiring. Thus, Mary's career in the big time was launched.

When asked why he rejected Mary Tyler Moore for the role of his daughter in his own show but went out of his way to get her cast in the new Dick Van Dyke show, Thomas responded: "She lost it by a nose. Nobody would believe anyone with that small of a nose could be my daughter".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 02:23 pm
Danny Thomas was in a class all by himself. Had the greatest heart imaginable.
0 Replies