BACON- painlessly done in the oven

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:15 am
I just learned a trick to make crispy, tasty bacon .
Turn the oven to 400 F . Take a baking pan and line it with parchment. Arrange the bacon slices closely and pop into the oven (the bacon, not you).
After 20 minutes , check it, My wife likes it done just on the verge of crispy. I like it a wee bit darker (For me, 23 minutes 'll do it)

Excellent ,flat, crispy bacon
Excellent color
Easy to clean pan
Toss the parchment

Its the best for making BLT's (my favorite sammich)

You may wish to discuss, or not.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:20 am
@farmerman,
I just started baking my bacon about a month ago. I think I read about online somewhere and I bought a bacon rack and baking pan.

The flavor of the bacon is slightly different this way.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:24 am
@rosborne979,
the parchment method gets the bacon to increase it thickness for some reason. It may be like "oven frying" with potatoes.

Im gonna try some thinner cuts of sugar cured ham .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:31 am
The lady of the house here does bacon on parchment in the oven. It is irresistible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:42 am
I have never noticed parchment in any stores. Who sells it?
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:03 am
@edgarblythe,
I think Mrs F gets it in the Aluminum foil section of the supermarket. (I went out to the pantry room and found a box of REYNOLS Genuine Parchment Paper). It says on the box that it WITHSTANDS OVEN TEMPS UP TO 450 degrees F.
1Do not put under the broiler (it is, after all PAPER which is a substance that generally is unfriendly with open flames )

2 ALWAYS preheat the oven first (I have no idea why this is listed as a caution).

3The parchment paper is made in Frnce and merely rolled up in a box here in the US.

Ill hqve to check and see what the hell's in that stuff

0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:07 am
@farmerman,
Lettuce not forget it could be all ova in a pan in half the time, while you're baking paper.

Egg and bacon rolls on.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:17 am
@nacredambition,
That imparted a pork belly laugh (well maybe a snigger)

It appears that parchment is made by gelatanizing the Pulp in the pulping process. They take a solution of sulfuric acid which dissociates the pulp and it reorganizes with a tighter surface bonding when its put into the paper frames (the running deckle).

Apparently modern parchment paper is just a denser form of paper which imparts its resistance to charring in heat.

NO animals are used in the process.

I used to do fake calligraphy pages of medieval books (like the Domesday Book) and the parchment I used was an animl skin based "paper"

They also make a "Bakery paper" which is used in commercial cookie baking . Bakery papr i gelatinized papar but is coated with silicone (I dont like silicone polymers traipsing around my body
nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:37 am
@farmerman,
Mmm, egg bacon tomato and a mug with the morning parchment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:42 am
There are lots of links for parchment cooking.
http://www.rachaelray.com/2013/11/14/10-uses-for-parchment-paper/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:24 pm
I buyed a role. They had dem in bags too also.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure who told me about parchment paper, some article somewhere, years ago, or ehBeth, a person to listen to.

I use it fairly often, and also re use it: it's washable (hot water from sink), and washable more than once, if somewhat mildly wrinkly. Still good for making peanut butter cookies. I've not tried boiling water over it, never have had the need.

I've had food poisoning, but never from my own cooking.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Turns out my wife uses it at work.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
now dont go starting any fars
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
I like the idea of protecting a pan or cookie sheet with it. I just bought some new ones and hope they last a while.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I've not roasted bacon on parchment, so I'm not clear if your bacon sheet can be re used, but I suppose so.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 04:32 am
@ossobucotemp,
best tasting and textured bacon doing them on parchment. Trust me. Im not interested in using it over because we get parchment at an AMISH market and its really cheap.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:28 pm
So, without all this preparation, breakfast and midnight chow always had delicious bacon (and sausage and homefries) with scrambled eggs. What did the civilian chow hall cooks do differently? I only eat bacon in a restaurant, since I think God will always spoil bacon made at home for a Jewish person.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:31 pm
I've used the parchment now, three times. For bacon, biscuits and cimanon rolls. Real good. Only thing for the bacon I should have checked it after almost fifteen minutes. After 20 minutes it was approaching charcoal. My oven must cook a little hotter. I will get a second chance on Sunday morning.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:13 am
@edgarblythe,
I found the same thing. I think it was the thinness of the cut of bacon. The last ones were "Thick cut" bacon where 20 min was perfect.

1. Forums
  2. » BACON- painlessly done in the oven
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 10:50:44