edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:37 am
@farmerman,
Ah so. My bacon was really thin.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:56 am
@edgarblythe,
neat trick though eh?
Osso reuses her parchment in cookie making. Turns out Mrs F made her Xmas cookies on parchment. I thought I discovered this and it was only after trying it everybody said "Hell yeh didnt you know about parchment''s role in baking"?

I alwys thought it would (based on chemical content, reach a flash point or begin to char

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:53 pm
I think this thread should be retitled: A Celebration of Treyf (Unkosher Food).

Now that would be amusing to anyone in LA or NYC, in my opinion. But in the hinterland, not so much.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
I'd never used it for 'roasting', much less bacon. I won't do 450, I might set the place afire. But soon I'll buy some more bacon.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:33 pm
@Foofie,
Hqvent heard that term since gramma times. You need to get a Yiddisha Wurtebuch
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
modern parchment is a miracle through chemistry. Pulp is over acidified so that the molecules of Ca lignase go into super friendly mode and get up all snuggly with their neighbors (with a Ca ion every o often). Its a higher density so its safe to about 450 but wont really burn until about pizza oven temps.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:41 pm
On the re-using, I wash it, yes, but also dry it, before adding cookie dough or focaccia dough, etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I'm not sure who told me about parchment paper, some article somewhere, years ago, or ehBeth, a person to listen to.

<raises hand>

I've been preaching the wonders of parchment paper since Abuzz days when I was also in the Fine Cooking / Gardening forums at Taunton. So 15 - 20 years ago?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
everybody said "Hell yeh didnt you know about parchment''s role in baking"?

so glad I waited to chime in Smile
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:34 pm
@ehBeth,
awwww yu too?

My wifes been uzing it as a base upon which to dry her polymer clay trinkets that she hangs bout to keep werewolves at bay.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:37 pm
@farmerman,
It is good to have more people understand the wonders of cooking with parchment. A friend of mine used it for baking bacon for the first time for a big brunch party last summer. People went crazy - and I was all how did you not know this (but not out loud). We learned about parchment back in high school ... so 45 (?) years ago.

edit ... but of course I waited 20 years to really get into it.

I think parchment paper is kind of like crockpots. You don't get it til you get it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I allays thought parchment was made out of animal skin. I never knew that parchment and Parchment PAPER were two diff things.
I saw this whole thing on a tv cooking show and they made a big deli about how few people know about it. WELL, I was one.

You shoulda told your old farmer friend. Anyway, I got EDgar informed. It is always the desire of the teacher to have his student surpass him.

We havent used the crock-pot for years (OUR NEWER ONE IS OVALISH). I dont like oval pots. Must be my OCD
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:50 pm
I was motivated to protect my new baking pans and looking for a better way to prepare bacon. Mene mene tekel upharsin.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember Taunton, not sure if I somehow just read or was a member.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,

ya want that in Hebrew scrip?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:05 pm
Meantime, I apparently lied, as I don't wash the parchment for the second round of cookies.. just afterwards.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:05 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The Taunton gardening forums was how I got to know Mrs. Sealpoet.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not sure I know her, but not sure I don't either. Call me fuzz brain. Plus I was new then and a fool with the computer. I remember him with delight.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Heres d "Writing on d wall" as painted by Rembrandt

http://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/overstockart/cache/data/product_images/overstockart_2375_3430794186-1000x1000.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 06:19 pm
http://able2know.org/topic/645-1

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:47:29