Chilling **** - I just got a post with a lot of info re anybody I know

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:25 pm
@roger,
Yeah, whenever I made the opening post was immediately after I saw it and the list disappeared. I think it was a2k names only but I'm not sure I even got to look at the whole list - it really was a matter of seconds. I would have read further if I could have.

I wish I had a photographic memory...

snort, maybe it was a list of people osso isn't ignoring..

I also don't remember why I worded it that there was a lot of inf0; I remember thinking that but I can't remember what the info was like.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:31 pm
@Krumple,
ECHELON, originally a secret government code name, is a surveillance program (signals intelligence / SIGINT collection and analysis network) operated on behalf of the five signatory nations to the UKUSA Security Agreement[1]—Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, also known as the Five Eyes.[2][3][4]

The ECHELON program was created in the late 1960s to monitor the military and diplomatic communications of the Soviet Union and its Eastern Bloc allies during the Cold War, and was formally established in 1971.[5][6]

By the end of the 20th century, the system referred to as "ECHELON" had allegedly evolved beyond its military and diplomatic origins, to also become "…a global system for the interception of private and commercial communications."[7]

Also in 1988, an article titled "Somebody's Listening", written by investigative journalist Duncan Campbell in the New Statesman, described the signals intelligence gathering activities of a program code-named "ECHELON".[12] James Bamford describes the system as the software controlling the collection and distribution of civilian telecommunications traffic conveyed using communication satellites, with the collection being undertaken by ground stations located in the footprint of the downlink leg.[13]

In 1996, a detailed description of ECHELON was provided by New Zealand journalist Nicky Hager in his 1996 book "Secret Power – New Zealand's Role in the International Spy Network".[14] Two years later, Hager's book was cited by the European Parliament in a report titled "An Appraisal of the Technology of Political Control" (PE 168.184).[15]

In March 1999, for the first time in history, the Australian government admitted that news reports about the top secret UKUSA Agreement were true.[16] Martin Brady, the director of Australia's Defence Signals Directorate (DSD) told the Australian broadcasting channel Nine Network that the DSD "does co-operate with counterpart signals intelligence organisations overseas under the UKUSA relationship."[17]

In 2000, James Woolsey, the former Director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, confirmed that U.S. intelligence uses interception systems and keyword searches to monitor European businesses.[18]
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:50 pm
@blatham,
I don't remember where I was reading or posting at just before 9Surprised4 pm mountain time; I'll see if I can figure that out, but I was online at a2k (as usual).

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:53 pm
Maybe it was an attempted hacking that the site software fought off.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
First to answer Blatham from a while back, I was reading a book that night but had a book break and looked at a2k, seemingly only reading the Dining Out thread : http://able2know.org/topic/363272-1, as I had refreshed after reading, not clear when exactly I did that. When I checked now, I swear there was a post at something like 9:01, but when I looked to put the link here, there was only ehBeth's afternoon post and one at 9:29. Hmm. By now, I don't trust my quick looks.

EdgarB, that's a possibility.
Maybe it was a list of people I'd thumbed up? No, that's too stupid.
Maybe it was some techy a2k glitch? unlikely to me.

Anyway, I'm over it; it was startling at the time. I'm remembering, as I said, that it struck me as a bunch of people I like, but I like a lot of a2kers, including people who differ with me. I'm over the chilling ****, paranoia not striking deep enough.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 04:42 pm
Old song from The Buffalo Springfield, newly timely:

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 04:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Uh, I'm not a usual person to freak.

You can listen to me or not.

Did you see who posted it?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
I just had a thought. Could be somebody posted that, thought better of it, and deleted it. It could have appeared to you just as it was deleted and disappearing from the page.
Builder

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's one of the crappy things about facebook, Edgar; you can delete or alter your posts at any time, which means those who get thrashed in a debate can remove everything they said, after the fact.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Hi. No, not really; there was something at the top of the page, not big print but not tiny, and as I said but can't visualize today, something made me think Australia, but I don't trust that passing half of a thought.. It wasn't an a2k type page, more like a paper list, I think I saw it for less than a minute, more a matter of seconds, and I was drawn to the people's names.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
As of now, I remember it as more a white paper without the a2k colorations - I am 99.99% sure I would remember an a2k style look.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:46 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Hi. No, not really; there was something at the top of the page, and as I said but can't visualize today, something made me think Australia, but I don't trust that passing half of a thought.. It wasn't an a2k type page, more like a paper list, I think I saw it for less than a minute, more a matter of seconds, and I was drawn to the people's names.

You said you were mobile when it happened? Maybe weak signal didn't fully load a2k page and so you got a list instead of the normal page appearance?
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:53 pm
@Krumple,
I said I was mobile? I was sitting at my desk, checking out a2k before going back to my book in another room. I do that sometimes after some hours go by.
I only stand at my desk on the way to sit down, and then turn off sleep (it's an old mac so that means I mouse tap the screen to wake it up).
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
On your point, I dunno.

Maybe I need to see a hypnotist (kidding, kidding).
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I said I was mobile? I was sitting at my desk, checking out a2k before going back to my book in another room. I do that sometimes after some hours go by.
I only stand at my desk on the way to sit down, and then turn off sleep (it's an old mac).

Wireless though? Is what I meant. I bet the page load got interrupted and didn't complete. Thats what you saw a page without the php style sheet loaded. So all you saw was an unformated list. It happens if your wireless signal drops. Maybe a node crashed. Lots of reasons it can happen.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:04 pm
@Krumple,
I have wireless on my bill but I've never used it. This is an early 2006 desktop.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:05 pm
@Krumple,
I don't believe she has anything to do with wireless in any shape or form.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:06 pm
@Krumple,
Hmmm. You may be right, as modem shows wireless on when it starts up. This baby works primarily by a plug in the wall.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:10 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger. I don't, but maybe some day if the computer completely crumps out and I have to buy a used smart phone, heaven help me then, I'll need the wireless that I'm paying for in the telephone bill.
Krumple

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Hmmm. You may be right, as modem shows wireless on when it starts up. This baby works primarily by a plug in the wall.

Well question is do you get the internet via cat5 cable plugged into your laptop or do you have a wireless router?

At any rate its possible an internet node dropped out at the moment you were accessing a2k and the page didn't fully load. Or..

How many people use that internet connection? If there are others using it at the same time as you they might have been hogging the bandwidth and so the a2k page loaded slower than usual. Giving you the unformatted list instead of the style sheet layout. But only for a second until it got the packets of information your laptop needed to finish loading a2k.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 11:16:46