7000metre-high mountains

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 09:40 pm
7,000metre-high mountains
7,000-metre-high mountains

Which is correct, the first with one hyphen or the second with two hyphens?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 383 • Replies: 10

roger

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 09:43 pm
@tanguatlay,
I wouldn't use any.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:39 pm
@tanguatlay,

Why do you need hyphens at all?
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Why do you need hyphens at all?
I was taught to do so.
7000m-high mountainso (No hyphen between 'm' and 'high'.) Not sure about that one.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:54 am
When numbers are used as adjectives, hyphens are required. Here's a page which explains it and gives examples:
Numbers as adjectives

Judging by that page, 7000-metre-high would appear to be the correct spelling, because high is an adjective joined to a number.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:15 am
@Blickers,
Thanks, Blickers.

Ate most native speakers particular about punctuation? I was told most native speakers do not even know what Past Participle is. In your experience, are the above true?
Blickers

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:42 am
@tanguatlay,
Yes. In fact, I would have to admit I would have to look it up to refresh my memory as to what a Past Participle is. Correct use of language has to do partly with education level, partly with the education level of your family and the people you know, and quite a bit with how much you read. If you read a lot of correctly written English, especially if you start when you're young, you just fall into the same patterns as you see written down and the correct form seems natural, even if you can't give details as to why.

I didn't know about the hyphen when numbers are used as adjectives, for instance. It is a somewhat minor point in terms of day-to-day usage, so I didn't know it. It was only when you said you were taught that hyphens were necessary when numbers were used as adjectives that I looked it up.
centrox

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:29 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Which is correct, the first with one hyphen or the second with two hyphens?

The second. To correctly form a compound adjective of measurement or quantity, join the number of the measurement "7,000", the unit "metre" (use singular) and the type of measurement "high" with hyphens:

Some 7,000-metre-high mountains
Some seven-thousand-metre-high mountains
A three-and-a-half-page report
A five-and-one-half-foot-long sign.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:31 am
@Blickers,
Thanks, Blickers, for the information.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:54 am
Also: a one-hundred-thousand-dollar deficit.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:03 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

To correctly form a compound adjective of measurement or quantity, join the number of the measurement "7,000", the unit "metre" (use singular) and the type of measurement "high" with hyphens.
Also: a one-hundred-thousand-dollar deficit.
Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 7000metre-high mountains
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:11:34