Third of world's amphibians 'on edge of extinction'

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:36 am
(Full article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/15/wfrog15.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/15/ixworld.html )

"Third of world's amphibians 'on edge of extinction'
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 15/10/2004)

Almost a third of the world's frogs, toads, salamanders and other amphibians are threatened with extinction within 100 years, according to a study.

That tens of thousands of years of evolution could be wiped out in a century is seen by some experts as a warning of impending environmental disaster.

Amphibians are widely regarded as "canaries in the coal mine," or useful indicators of potentially harmful changes in the environment, because their permeable skin is so sensitive.

"Amphibians are one of nature's best indicators of overall environmental health," said Russell Mittermeier, president of US-based Conservation International (CI). "Their catastrophic decline serves as a warning that we are in a period of significant environmental degradation."

The underlying cause of their deaths is not clear, according to the Global Amphibian Assessment, compiled by more than 500 scientists from over 60 nations. The key findings will be published by the journal Science.

Simon Stuart, senior director of the IUCN/CI Biodiversity Assessment Unit, who led the team, said: 'The bottom line is that there's almost no evidence of recovery and no known techniques for saving mysteriously declining species in the wild.'........."

This is pretty alarming - as well as sad...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 745 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:56 am
Deb, that is horrific to me. Those little creatures are everywhere here, and I hear the chorus of the frogs in my little pond at night.

I don't know exactly what one would term them, but I find these tiny little frog type creatures everywhere on the outside of my house.

The problem is, what can be done?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:00 am
Here, some folk are trying to have some frog friendly water features in their gardens - a tiny thing, of course.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:06 am
Remember my having written about the moorhens? I used to watch them propagate in my pond and now I rarely see one or two, and no babies at all. It may have to do with the golf course, but they are supposed to be environmentally friendly. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:08 am
I most certainly DO remember your moorhens!!!

That is awful.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
Deb, some newbie in Australia wants to know about opening a FM radio station. I directed him/her to you. Want a link?

(I made you the sleeping beauty on my fairy tale thread. Razz )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
Er - I would have no idea about such a thing, Letty!!!!

I am sure someone else will find the question.

Sleeping Beauty, eh? Well, I DID sleep through a party I was supposed to go to yesterday...dammit!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:20 pm
I've been that route, Deb. I did have to smile at what one of our musician friends observed.

Men get drunk and women get sleepy.

I also smile remembering your reference to pixilated.

Well, that newbie will have to find out about FM radio himself, I guess.

Been down the road a long way, haven't we.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:53 pm
Lol - I weren't drunk! Just exhausted!!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:05 pm
I know that, Deb. A weak attempt at humor.

Unable to sleep, I was just typing into the ether. I am amazed at how well you handle your job. Anything involving children and the relentless sentinel and often thankless job that you have, would lay me out. It was very difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that many of the students that I taught are dead, in prison, or simply drifting. There are the success stories, of course, and why can't I remember them?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:33 pm
Hmmm - I have been thinking of opening an only half humourous thread about what a burned out, over-specialized middle-aged woman with a bad back and a mortgage can change careers to!!!

(I can't waitress or clean no more - which is the relevance of the back)

To be honest, though I am still intensely engaged and deeply alive when in the room with folk, I feel like I can't go on. As do we all......too relentless, and an ever-increasing culture of blame from above when the same resources no longer cater to an almost doubled population.....

Just waiting to make the wrong call, and have a kid suicide who I thought safe to go home - or, more to the point, whom I know the hospital would but keep waiting in the ER for five hours, then send home....

And - knowing that no matter how often I report abuse to the protection authorities, they will not act - "because [my organisation] is involved - and all we would do is send then to you anyway".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:44 pm
Damn, honey. My daughter did waitress work for a bit, and I think that's why she decided to return to college.

No, you won't get support from anyone who is in administration. It's as though one is in competition with them, somehow. Is it any wonder that the world is at war?

I am lucky, Deb, to not have any discernable health problems at the moment. I even ignore my glucose intolerance now.

When things get too tough, I just write poetry.
0 Replies