Models ace ballboys out of a job

Col Man

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041015/80/f4n6b.html

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20041015/i/3403792980.jpg

MADRID (Reuters) - The centre court at next week's Madrid Masters tournament will look more like a catwalk than a sports arena after organisers decided to drop the traditional ballboys and ballgirls in favour of glamorous female models.

The organisers are reported to be paying the 25 women an average of 900 euros (620 pounds) to do the job previously done by enthusiastic young volunteers from local tennis clubs.

Coach Julio Nieto admitted that he had had a tough job in trying train up the models for the tournament.

"We have had to show them what the sport is all about," he told sports daily As. "We had to start by explaining what a game, a set and ace were and then tell them when and how to pass the players the balls.

"It's not going to be perfect, but I'll be happy if things turn out well and there are no protests from the players. Although personally I think that with such beautiful girls the players are going to be distracted."

World number one Roger Federer leads the field at the tournament which gets underway on Monday October 18.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 319 • Replies: 0
No top replies