Move Hallowe'en just 'cause it falls on a Sunday?

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:41 pm
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=13&u=/ap/20041015/ap_on_re_us/halloween_on_the_sabbath It seems there is a problem this year, what with Hallowe'en falling on a Sunday.

Now, I of course support everyone's right to practice their religion. However, I'd like to see the same courtesy in return (hey, I'm kinda funny that way). Anyway, Sunday is not my Sabbath. It isn't the Sabbath for other folks, too (Muslims, for example). Yet no one bats an eye when Hallowe'en falls on a Friday night or a Monday.

And, this is the Hallowe'en holiday we're talking about here - it's not like it's something that is used for worship. Uh, is it?

Note the quote (from the article):
Quote:
It is an especially sensitive issue for authorities in the Bible Belt across the South.

"You just don't do it on Sunday," said Sandra Hulsey of Greenville, Ga. "That's Christ's day. You go to church on Sunday, you don't go out and celebrate the devil. That'll confuse a child."

By the way, why is confusion such a bad thing? Or does that <shudder> lead to questions that might not have answers?

I dunno, I'm stumped.

Here's an opposing viewpoint, from the same article:
Quote:
"Moving it, that's like celebrating Christmas a week early," said Veronica Wright, who bought a Power Rangers costume for her son in Newnan. "It's just a kid thing. It's not for real."

Further confusion occurs among adults, who can't figure out when to give out candy:
Quote:
In Vestavia Hills, Ala., a suburb of Birmingham, a furor erupts every time Halloween falls on Sunday. Local officials decided not to take a stand this time.

"About 15 years ago, we decided to have Halloween on Saturday instead. People went crazy. We said, `Never again,'" recalled Starr Burbic, longtime secretary to the mayor. "It messed everybody up to move Halloween. Some people don't like having it on a Sunday, but we just couldn't find a way to make everyone happy."

The patchwork of trick-or-treat zones could work to children's advantage: Some might go out on both nights to get all the treats they can.

So, the election is in a coupla weeks, gas prices are nutty and there won't be enough flu vaccine this year, so some people will die. And this is the big concern for these people?

Like I said before, I'm stumped.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 17
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
I hear ya Jespah, plain idiotic!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:34 pm
...and...and...daylight saving time will be ending at the same time. So you know (don't you?) what that means?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:37 pm
Quote:
It is an especially sensitive issue for authorities in the Bible Belt across the South.

"You just don't do it on Sunday," said Sandra Hulsey of Greenville, Ga. "That's Christ's day. You go to church on Sunday, you don't go out and celebrate the devil. That'll confuse a child."

But, it's not confusing if the child trick-or-treats Saturday night, and then gets up and goes to Sunday School?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:48 pm
That's Dick Cheney's doing. He's a Seventh Day Adventist.....

Reminds me of the birthday card I got from our erstwhile piano player:

Happy Halloween you pagan heathen. Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:53 pm
nothing like going door to door in a sponge bob costume for mini snickers to invoke the presence of Lord Satan.....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:04 pm
nice avatars, guys Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
realjohnboy wrote:
...and...and...daylight saving time will be ending at the same time. So you know (don't you?) what that means?

Yes, this will unleash the demons.

One hour earlier than usual.

Glad for the sanity check, folks, glad to see I'm not the only one who finds this monumentally silly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:39 am
I know plenty of Texans who rail against Halloween. I just hooraw them about it until they shut up or go away.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:50 am
I wonder, how many people know about the origin of this day - and that's it is only All Hallows' Eve = the eve of All Saints' Day.

The latter is the real Christian holiday - like Christmas to Christmas Eve. (They don't change that when it falls on a Sunday, or do they?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
I bet you're right that they just don't know. <sigh> It's always easier to just bluster in and start yelling, rather than quietly do a little research, eh?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:27 am
jespah wrote:
It's always easier to just bluster in and start yelling, rather than quietly do a little research, eh?

Yes, but perhaps those only want to show their lack of knowledge/education publically? :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
How about this as a compromise? Hold Trick or Treat on the usual day and anyone that does not think it is appropriate can hold their own celebration however they want to on Saturday. Many places have celebrations of Halloween on other days any way. Most people that hold Halloween parties usually do it on Saturday night rather than the actual holiday no matter which day of the week it falls on. Many local places, for instance a local zoo holds Halloween celebration a week before the Holiday. If you are against it, they do something else on another day. Don't ruin it for the rest of the population just because it is inconvenient for you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
Ohio has this weird thing called "Beggar's Night." I only just figured it out -- I thought it was like a festival or something, and was going batty trying to figure out WHERE the festival was. I was seeing signs and advertisements, but, uh, WHERE??

Turns out that Beggar's Night is decided by individual communities, just some random day around Halloween. That's when the trick-or-treating happens. Question Basically, Beggar's Night is for kids, Halloween is for grown-ups. You get a sitter for the kids on Halloween and go out to a grown-up party and get drunk. Or something.

A safety issue, which I think I get and agree with. Especially in a college town. (Madison got baaaad on Halloween.) But it's still a little weird, I haven't quite gotten used to the concept yet.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
sozobe wrote:
Ohio has this weird thing called "Beggar's Night." I only just figured it out -- I thought it was like a festival or something, and was going batty trying to figure out WHERE the festival was. I was seeing signs and advertisements, but, uh, WHERE??

Turns out that Beggar's Night is decided by individual communities, just some random day around Halloween. That's when the trick-or-treating happens. Question Basically, Beggar's Night is for kids, Halloween is for grown-ups. You get a sitter for the kids on Halloween and go out to a grown-up party and get drunk. Or something.

A safety issue, which I think I get and agree with. Especially in a college town. (Madison got baaaad on Halloween.) But it's still a little weird, I haven't quite gotten used to the concept yet.

that's how I remember it from spending most of my early youth and all of trick or treating youth in Akron. A really good idea IMO.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Stupid stupid stupid....like anything else is closed on Sunday anymore. Sunday is just another day in good old US of A.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
Oh so it really is an Ohio thing -- I wasn't sure about that part, thought it might be specific to Columbus.

I see the positives, and am warming up to it, but my initial reaction was like a lot of the responses here -- Halloween is October 31st, period!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:55 am
I think the real object is not one of convenience, but that they believe Halloween to be linked to the devil and thus inappropriate for Sunday. If that's true, then they should find it inappropriate for any day!

As I understand it, the legend is that the day before the Feast of All Saints (i.e. All Hallows), those of the dead who didn't attain sanctity had their own feast. All the ghosts and goblins rise to walk among us.

It is also linked to the ancient Celtic celebration of Samhain, marking the end of summer and a day of the dead. During this festival, Celts believed the spirits of the dead returned to mingle with the living.

I'm sure our Wiccan members could elaborate on this.
0 Replies