HIrst's eatery for sale -- skeletons included

Col Man

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:56 pm
Link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20041014/od_uk_nm/oukoe_arts_britain_hirst

LONDON (Reuters) - Artist Damien Hirst -- known for putting rotting animals on display in museums -- is selling the contents of his iconic London restaurant "Pharmacy", complete with its skeletons.

The restaurant, in London's Notting Hill neighbourhood, combined food with modern art, but its pharmacist's shop decor led some unwary shoppers to walk in clutching prescriptions. It shut last year.

Skeletons, apothecary jars and aspirin-shaped bar stools from the once ultra-hip eatery are among more than 140 lots due to go under the hammer at auction house Sotheby's.

"I was very disappointed when Pharmacy closed," said Hirst, who co-owned and designed the restaurant.

"I think auctioning all the stuff is a great idea as that way everybody gets a chance to own a piece. I mean, I can only use so many plates and pots and pans myself..."

Hirst won Britain's top modern art award, the Turner Prize, in 1995 for "Mother and Child, Divided," which featured an adult cow and a baby calf, each split in half, pickled in formaldehyde and displayed in glass tanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 340 • Replies: 1
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Never mix food with politics, I say. Note to Justin Timberlake: please get out of the dim sum business.
0 Replies