How to block internet connection from a specific router? (and I don't want to try blocking mac addre

Jue Cho

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 08:13 am
I want to find a solution to this problem that I am having. I desperately want to block my internet access while I'm home. I've concluded that I actually am desperately addicted to social medias, and the huge variety of entertainment content that is out there on the internet.

I've tried using web filters, but as I'm quite good with computers, so I always find ways to override the filters.

I've decided, therefore to only use internet at my library when I need to do work. Is there a way of completely blocking internet access from a certain WIFI router? (windows 10 operating system.. prepared to downgrade if needed) As I want to be able to access the WIFI in at my library.

I currently live with housemates, so I don't have a choice of getting rid of the internet connection.

I think I can block the MAC address of my laptop by accessing my router's settings. However, I know too well that I can change my mac address easily… Or maybe I should just get rid of my laptop and only do work in the library? This can be quite inconvenient as I would always have to walk to library to do work, where as I would love to do some offline work in the comfort of my room
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,532 • Replies: 4
No top replies

centrox

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 08:42 am
You remind me of Thomas de Quincey, who was a 19th century English writer and opium addict. (He wrote a famous book called Confessions of an English Opium-Eater). At that time anyone could legally buy opium from apothecaries' shops. He wanted to stop, and he hired a man to accompany him and, whatever he might say, physically stop him going into shops where opium was sold. The first time he gave into temptation and tried to go into a shop, the man stood in front of him and said "No, sir, you must not go in that shop." De Quincey said "I have changed my mind!". The man said "I still won't let you". At this point de Quincey said "You are fired!" (or words to that effect).

Artificial substitutes for will-power do NOT work. Either make a decision and stick to it, or get rid of your laptop.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 09:47 pm
Centrox:
Disagree. Social media is not physically addicting like opium. It's a good plan to remove yourself from temptation, like a person starting a diet getting rid of all the cookies, pastries and potato chips in the house immediately.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about computers to help Jue Cho accomplish what he or she is trying to do.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 10:21 pm
Well, here's a suggestion. Since you are a student and know a great deal about computers, chances are you have friends with the same skills. Ask a trusted friend, (not one who lives in your house), to do the blocking of your house's WIFI connection on your laptop, and if there is a password in the process, have them note it down somewhere but don't tell you what it is. If there is no password in this blocking process, then you might have to make your trusted friend the Administrator of your laptop. See if that works.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 10:37 pm
@Jue Cho,
Have your housemates change the router password - and tell them not to give it to you. Best of all, have them change it regularly.
0 Replies