Getting our DNA tested and sharing results. Do you want to?

hightor

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 07:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
"We are Irish, Dutch and Indian."

I'm always amused at how many US residents claim Native American ancestry. I've always resisted having my dna tested but, hell, I might just do it...
maporsche

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 09:16 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
"We are Irish, Dutch and Indian."

I'm always amused at how many US residents claim Native American ancestry. I've always resisted having my dna tested but, hell, I might just do it...

I've got brothers and sisters all from the same parents and I shared the ancestry with them. My sister responds with "Wait, I thought grandma always told us that we all were part Indian. Were we lied to?"

I laughed.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:19 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I'm always amused at how many US residents claim Native American ancestry.

That may well be from the myriad rapes, at least the ones where the Native woman wasn't slaughtered, her breasts made into tobacco pouches.

Quote:

According to John S. Smith, Colonel Chivington knew these Indians to be peaceful before the massacre. Smith witnessed, as did helpless Indian mothers and fathers, young children having their sex organs cut away. U.S. soldiers mutilated Native American women, cutting away their breasts and removing all other sex organs. After the Massacre, soldiers displayed the women's severed body parts on their hats and stretched them over their saddle-bows while riding in the ranks. The sex organs of every male were removed in the most grotesque manner. One soldier boasted that he would make a tobacco pouch with the removed privates of White Antelope, a respected elder. Conner witnessed a soldier displaying the body parts of a woman on a stick. The fingers of Indians were cut off to get at the rings on them. Connor remembered a baby only a few months old who had been hidden in the feed box of a wagon for protection. When the soldiers discovered the baby some time later, the baby was thrown onto the frozen ground to die. In going over the site the next day, it was noted that every corpse was mutilated in some way, and scalped.

http://www.lastoftheindependents.com/chivington.html
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:45 pm
@camlok,
Just got my results. I'm 100% Eastern European. Surprise surprise.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 05:42 am
Okay, just got my results.

Son of a gun — this whole vast genetic stew and they couldn't find any Native American at all.

I'm not too surprised except that I thought the percentage of Italian would have been a bit higher. I guess my mother's father, who had an Italian surname, would be more accurately described as "southern European".

European 79.3%
Northwestern European 57.9%
French & German 19.8%
British & Irish 7.3%
Scandinavian 1.2%
Finnish < 0.1%
Broadly Northwestern European 29.4%
Southern European 16.3%
Italian 2.2%
Balkan 1.5%
Iberian 0.4%
Sardinian 0.2%
Broadly Southern European 12.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish < 0.1%
Broadly European 5.1%

Sub-Saharan African 19.1%
West African 18.2%
Central & South African 0.3%
Broadly Sub-Saharan African 0.6%
Middle Eastern & North African 1.0%
Middle Eastern 0.8%
North African 0.2%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African < 0.1%
Unassigned 0.5%
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I knew it! I always hated Sardinians.

They are nice on toast.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:30 pm
Recently read a blog from someone who took this "test" and upon finding that she was 30% "White" was ashamed.

Speaks volumes.
Blickers

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In that case, what are your psychological insights into this?

McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:45 pm
@Blickers,
I suppose the sun even shines on a dog's ass once in awhile.

You made a post that was funny, topical, and didn't insult anyone.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 12:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Recently read a blog from someone who took this "test" and upon finding that she was 30% "White" was ashamed.

Speaks volumes.

It is foolish, although sometimes tempting, to suppose that somehow a person's moral character or worth is affected for good or ill by their genes or ethnic background. Except for inherited mental conditions. I say tempting because my sister did some genealogy research on our family tree, mainly my mother's side, which we didn't know much about. She told me Mum's grandfather was Portuguese. "Cool!" I thought. I'd always felt (I suddenly realised) a bit Latin, a bit continental, a bit different from all these English clods with their pale skins and freckles (you get the idea). I am rather olive skinned as it happens. I dined out on this for some months. Then she told me she had made a mistake, looked at the wrong list or something, and in fact both my mother's parents came from Suffolk. They were gipsies however. Aha. Now that's something exotic? No. Not Roma gipsies, just a couple of itinerant agricultural workers who decided to "go respectable" around 1905 and settled in London, in Deptford. Pure East Anglian. So there you go.

roger

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 01:19 am
@centrox,
What the heck! You had your moment of glory.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 02:05 am
I had my moment of glory. I think it made me realise how we like to construct narratives about ourselves, and others.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 11:11 am
@Blickers,
The sound on my PC isn't working but I can imagine what was said, and if I'm correct it just means that the woman blogger is in bad company.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 09:47 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
They are nice on toast.

Sometimes I'll have mine tossed with a salad. Now Corsicans on the other hand...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 08:12 am
@hightor,
Cherokee "maidens" were not so for long.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 12 May, 2017 04:44 am
Quote:
All his life, Cleon Brown, a 47-year-old police sergeant in Hastings, Mich., had thought he was a white man with some Native American blood.

That notion came from his father, who had black, curly hair and darker skin. Sergeant Brown’s father would tell him and anyone else who asked that his lineage could be traced to the Blackfeet Nation.

Discovering you don't have Native American heritage

Where I grew up in the foothills of the Catskills there was a loose community of mixed-race people known as "Jackson Whites". They all claimed native American ancestry. But they would never admit to being part black as well — which they actually were.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 May, 2017 10:15 am
When I first got my results, it showed me to be 100% European. Now it shows me 99% and breaks it down like this:
British Isles 77%
East Europe 22%
Siberia 1%
Southeast Europe 1%
And then Ancient Origins
11% Meta Age invader
39% farmer
49% hunter gatherer
----------------------------------------------------------------
I know they didn't retest my sample. So how come the new breakdown? This is a Family Tree thing.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 20 May, 2017 12:17 pm
Wouldn't everybody have been a hunter-gatherer in the beginning? That's what Homo Sapiens did the first 95% of the time we've been around.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 11:32 am
My wife and I did our dna testing and the results are in:

European: 99.3%
--Northwestern European: 74.1%
- French & German: 25.9
- Scandinavian: 19.0%
- British & Irish: 15.1%
- Broadly Northwestern European: 14.2

--Southern European: 23.4%
-Italian: 8.7%
-Balkan: 6.1%
-Iberian: .5%
-Sardinian: .3%
-Broadly Southern European: 7.8%

--Broadly European: 1.8%

--Sub-Saharan African: .1%

--Broadly Sub-Saharan African: .1%

--Unassigned: .5%

The only surprising detail is the low amount of Italian in my DNA and the high amount of French/German.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:28 am
Kiss me, I'm American.

I'm around 50% Native American, 37% European, mostly Iberian, and 6% Sub-Saharan African. I exhibit 264 Neanderthal variants. My maternal haplogroup is Native American, my pateral is exhibited mostly by Northwestern Europeans, mine coming most likely from the "Celtic" peoples who were in northern Iberia.
0 Replies