Getting our DNA tested and sharing results. Do you want to?

RABEL222

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 09:22 pm
@Blickers,
I dont have to do dna. I am 50% italian. Somewhere in there has to be some black blood. The other 50% is heinz 57 variety. From indian and black to jewish.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:14 pm
I've read that it was the mixing with Neanderthal that allowed non Africans to survive in the lesser sun of being out of Africa (vitamin D prevents rickets). Neanderthal were supposedly fair, and had the gene for red hair. As far as I'm concerned the Europeans had many truncated false starts out of Africa, until some hybrid offspring mated with another hybrid with fair skin. It tells me that over eons Europeans share a lot of DNA, regardless of what land mass they wax nostalgic about. Much ado about nothing, in my opinion. That might be why no nationality has a monopoly on braininess or lack of it. We are all on the same bellcurve, in my opinion.
Blickers

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 07:42 pm
@Foofie,
You are right about the vitamin D. However, DNA studies have shown that Homo Sapiens from Africa did not get their lighter skin from Neanderthals nor their lighter colored hair. The studies showed that the gene variants, (alleles) for these things are different in Neanderthal and Sapien. Neanderthal's skin and hair lightened up first, but Homo Sapien did the change of skin and hair color all by himself.

Quote:
The people who built Stonehenge 5000 years ago probably had the same pallid complexion of many modern inhabitants of the UK. Now it seems that the humans occupying Britain and mainland Europe only lost the darker skins of their African ancestors perhaps just 6000 years earlier, long after Neanderthals had died out. The finding confirms that modern Europeans didn’t gain their pale skin from Neanderthals
Source: New Scientist

One thing to remember is that Neanderthal and Homo Sapien were both trying to adapt to the European environment, so if the Homo Sapiens of antiquity have a physical characteristic similar to Neanderthals, it doesn't mean they necessarily inherited it. They might have developed it on their own, to deal with the same environment the Neanderthals dealt with.
Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:16 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

You are right about the vitamin D. However, DNA studies have shown that Homo Sapiens from Africa did not get their lighter skin from Neanderthals nor their lighter colored hair. The studies showed that the gene variants, (alleles) for these things are different in Neanderthal and Sapien. Neanderthal's skin and hair lightened up first, but Homo Sapien did the change of skin and hair color all by himself.

Quote:
The people who built Stonehenge 5000 years ago probably had the same pallid complexion of many modern inhabitants of the UK. Now it seems that the humans occupying Britain and mainland Europe only lost the darker skins of their African ancestors perhaps just 6000 years earlier, long after Neanderthals had died out. The finding confirms that modern Europeans didn’t gain their pale skin from Neanderthals
Source: New Scientist

One thing to remember is that Neanderthal and Homo Sapien were both trying to adapt to the European environment, so if the Homo Sapiens of antiquity have a physical characteristic similar to Neanderthals, it doesn't mean they necessarily inherited it. They might have developed it on their own, to deal with the same environment the Neanderthals dealt with.

I've read a different hypothesis. For dark complected homosapiens coming out of Africa, waiting to gain a mutation for lighter skin, allowing for vitamin D to prevent rickets in their offspring, they would have first died off. So, it only makes sense that only through mating with enough Neanderthals to gain the gene for lighter completed offspring, and therefore not dying of rickets, would we (a Neanderthal/homosapien hybrid) have gained a toehold out of Africa. Don't believe me. Jewish Neanderthal/homosapien hybrids do not proselytize.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:27 am
@blatham,
Sent my sample in today.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:30 am
I just bought a kit to be shipped from 23 and me. I'll let you know when I get it and ship it back.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 01:01 pm
I had mine tested several years ago and it revealed the not surprising result that the majority of my ancestors came from Northern Europe.

The one interesting result was that I have much less than average Neanderthal genes.

Now this could be a good or bad thing depending upon your views of Neanderthals, but I was pleased.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 03:29 pm
@Foofie,
Quote Foofie:
Quote:
I've read a different hypothesis. For dark complected homosapiens coming out of Africa, waiting to gain a mutation for lighter skin, allowing for vitamin D to prevent rickets in their offspring, they would have first died off. So, it only makes sense that only through mating with enough Neanderthals to gain the gene for lighter completed offspring, and therefore not dying of rickets, would we (a Neanderthal/homosapien hybrid) have gained a toehold out of Africa.

People with dark skin can survive in Europe. As my previous linked article proves, quite a few dark skinned Europeans were walking around 10,000 years ago. However, in Europe's climactic conditions during the Stone Age, a European born with lighter skin will get more Vitamin D which will make him more vigorous and less sick, on average, than those born with darker skin. Hence the lighter skinned will have just a touch more offspring, which over the course of 100 generations or so adds up to the lightening of the whole group's skin color.

If the European Homo Sapiens needed dark skin to survive, so many Europeans would not be walking around 10,000 years ago when the Neanderthals went extinct 28,000 years ago. Unless Neanderthal is Bigfoot. In which case, he should get himself an agent, he can cash in big by coming out of the forest.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:00 am
Sent off my DNA kit today. I should have my results in 6-8 weeks.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:15 am
I got my results back today.

Ancestry:

Northwestern European - 93.7%
-- British/Irish - 45.4%
-- French/German - 13.8%
-- Scandinavian - 4.9%
-- Broadly Northwestern European - 29.3%

Eastern European - 2.2%
Southern European - 1.2%
Broadly European - 2.4%

Sub-Saharan African - 0.5%

I'm getting my medical stuff more detailed analysis at promethease.com. But the 23andme summary showed nothing to worry about.

Interesting learning about this, even briefly this morning.
camlok

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:21 am
@maporsche,
So you are Black. Have you been stopped in many illegal traffic stops, shot at, beaten to a pulp, arrested for no reason, ... ?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The one interesting result was that I have much less than average Neanderthal genes.

Now this could be a good or bad thing depending upon your views of Neanderthals, but I was pleased.

Mine says that I have more Neanderthal genes than 80% of participants....I'm ok with that too.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:53 am
@maporsche,
can you mqnicure your hands on the pavement while walking?
Can you do the "funky Gibbon"?
Baldimo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:20 pm
@farmerman,
I've got an old video of me chasing my kids around the zoo like a gorilla. It's actually pretty funny and a great memory.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:29 pm
@Baldimo,
BTW, I need to apologize to you. You were NOT the person I claimed was a 911 "Truther". Please forgive my accusation earlier. It was another name that, although close, was not yours (different dates of joining )
Baldimo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
No blood no foul, Farmerman, we have both been here for a long time and with so many posts, it's easy to get confused.

Btw, I'm fascinated by knife making and have been thinking of getting into it, I'm hoping to make it a hobby in the near future. When I'm ready I'll have questions I'm sure.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 05:06 pm
@Baldimo,
Thanks for letting me off so easy.

Send me some PM's when youre ready. Ive made a small forced air kiln and fire bricks from a friends ceramic buswiness. I dont keep it up. Ill fashion a few blades and then work on them. Damascus can be a PITA . Its like making puff pastry. Istarted with blanks from ZSco in Baltimore.
You will need an anvil as the only really essential tool. A heavy 5 lb hammer and a grinding stone you probably have

The "forged in Iron" hows are pretty realistic
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 06:46 pm
I'm likely mostly Irish, or similar. What's the big deal?

OK, ok, I'm fairly verble.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 09:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
with the genetic breakdown (%age of your population), you can calculte your various haplotype associations. (m and Y). Im associated with East Asia and the Levant).
I gotta start takin up the Balalaika.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 11:22 pm
@farmerman,
As you know, I like you, whatever genes. Also like your wife from afar.
OK, that's enough mush.
0 Replies