Gross, gross, gross

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:22 am
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (Reuters) - Emergency service workers had their stomachs turned when they cleaned up a smelly mess of spilled pig innards that blocked a busy Arkansas intersection for several hours on Tuesday.

Police said a truck spilled about 1,000 pounds (450 kg) of hog intestines fresh from a packing plant. The mess in the state capital, Little Rock, left several cleanup workers queasy.

"It was horrible. Oh, it was bad," said Sgt. Terry Hastings of the Little Rock police department.

The truck was carrying the entrails from a rendering plant to a facility where dog food is manufactured when the driver made an abrupt stop. The container was covered only by a tarp, which did not prevent the viscera from sloshing into the crossroads, police said.

Firefighters used bleach and fire hoses to flush away the mess.

When asked to describe the scene, Hastings was almost at a loss for words.

"Nasty, nasty. Phew," Hastings said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:30 am
And you found that news really in the special offers of your meat contractor? Shocked

:wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:40 pm
this reminds me cav of a some new recipes i found for you to try Wink

Recipes For CAV
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:50 pm
Thanks Col Man, now I have to run my spyware again. Wink Actually, I am familiar with some of those, but rarely get requests for them.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
Very Happy ok...
actually im glad to hear that Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:02 pm
Buddy of mine worked for a railroad ... he was a brakeman ... the guy who throws the switches and couples and uncouples the cars, and stuff like that. Anyhow, a regular switch job he ran involved moving cars in and out of local plants, warehouses, and other industries. One of the regular stops was a slaughterhouse. A bit further on was a tannery, which took the hides from the slaughterhouse. A side enterprize of the tannery was glue production, the raw material for which also came from the slaughterhouse. Essentially, it was the bits and pieces and parts of the critters that just didn't get used for anything else. It took the slaughterhouse several days to fill up a standard railroad gondola with the stuff, which is called offal. And, boy, after a few days in the sun, its pretty awfull ... a slimy, sloppy, sloshy, stinkin', maggot-crawlin', fly-buzzin', thoroughly disgustin' mess ... dozens of tons at least of it.

So, naturally, the job of connectin' and disconnectin' that particular car fell always to the junior member of the crew. Worse - the common initiation for a newbie to that crew involved havin' the poor sod ride the front ladder of the offal car as it was bein' pushed into the siding at the tannery. At the appropriate time, the engineer would slam on the brakes, then jerk the car backwards a bit and wave of the stuff would slosh up over the front lip of the car. The newbie would get to ride back to the freightyard - and its shower stalls - standin' out back on the rear platform of the caboose.

'Course, from then on, he knew better than to ride the front ladder of the offal car.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
Shocked <retch>
0 Replies