Tax-Exemption of Religious Schools

gollum

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 08:32 pm
A 1978 IRS ruling stripped tax-exempt status from all-white private schools formed in the South in reaction to the Brown v. Board of Education mandate to desegregate public schools.

I believe that there are Jewish parochial schools in the U.S. I think (I'm not sure) that all (or almost all) of the students are Jewish, which in almost all cases means that they are white.

Does that have any legal implications?

If a Christian family wants to send its child to a Jewish primary or secondary school, is the school allowed by law to deny him admission?

Could the IRS then deny the school tax-exemption? Does it?
(I've read that the Roman Catholic church operates parochial schools that admit many protestant children.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 544 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 12:18 am
@gollum,
In part at least, this goes back farther than 1978. Read about Bob Jones University vs.the United States, circa 1970. In that, the ruling from the IRS came down that, since Bob Jones University practiced discriminatory policies, they were not entitled to the tax exempt status.

Note: Bob Jones University, while admitting non-white students, refused admissions to those in mixed race relartionships.

The above stated laws most likely also apply to lower level education (grades 1 through 12).

I'm not overly familiar with the legal workings of the U.S.A., and am only offering surface information, hopefully someone else can provide more information and detail(s).
gollum

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 04:30 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you.

Per wikipedia.org:

"By 1975, the Internal Revenue Service moved to revoke the tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University, which forbade interracial dating (blacks had been denied entry until 1971). The decisions infuriated Falwell. "In some states it's easier to open a massage parlor than to open a Christian school", Falwell complained.[18]"
0 Replies