Black Holes

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:01 am
cavfancier wrote:
Speaking of big black holes, did anyone catch the Starr Jones wedding?

no, that was waaaay beyond the "event" horizon!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:59 pm
g__day wrote:

The age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years, buts its diameter is best calculated as 100 billion light years and could be growing faster than lightspeed still I guess - that's a remanent of inflation!

This is the one that really bothers me, because it violates Einstein's laws (ie the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit.) If the universe is 100 billion light years across, how the hell did it happen? I do buy this is the correct distance, I work with some of the greatest astrophysicists alive, and they derived the size of the universe by measureing backround radiation.

Any answers guys?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:21 pm
Do all stars eventually end up as black holes?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
No, must of it explodes making supernovae.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:02 am
Joe Republican wrote:
g__day wrote:

The age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years, buts its diameter is best calculated as 100 billion light years and could be growing faster than lightspeed still I guess - that's a remanent of inflation!

This is the one that really bothers me, because it violates Einstein's laws (ie the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit.) If the universe is 100 billion light years across, how the hell did it happen? I do buy this is the correct distance, I work with some of the greatest astrophysicists alive, and they derived the size of the universe by measureing backround radiation.

Any answers guys?

OK, for those who are iterested, here is the answer. I work with the top astrophysics in the world, and I had the pleasure of getting into a discussion of this quandry with him.

Two points, on the opposite side of the universe, CAN and DO move away from each other at faster then the speed of light. This is due to inflation of space. In a relativistic sense, this does not disagree with Einstein's laws. Relativity deals with a reference frame, or in essence a magnitude of scale. The distance required for inflation can and will move farther apart and at speeds faster then the speed of light.

There is a whole lot of universe beyond our event horizon which we can not see. As of right now, there is the belief that the universe is 10^21 light years across (yep that's right, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) or one quuintillion light years, yet the event horizon is only 14 billion years across.

Science, gotta love it Smile
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:40 am
Black holes evaporate, and many of them do not last until "the end of time." I know a colleague who was calculating the evaporation rates of black holes.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:14 pm
My original post was a bit cryptic sorry! Basically Einstein's physics of relativity with a constant speed of light in a vacuum for any observer hold in most domains of the universe for most times - but not at its creation when the four forces where combined into a single force. During this earliest stage of its existence the universe was ruled only by the laws of quantum gravity. The c lightspeed limit didn't apply before c came into existence. C can't exist until all four of the fundamental forces we know today are seperated entities.

The Universe we observe now didn't start with Einstein's physics - M-theory might be a better guess. Lets guess M-Theory triggered inflation from a singularity. Well that singularity we supposed was ruled by a unified force known as quantum gravity until the Universe blew itself apart. This big bang explosion caused spacetime to fly apart way, way faster than lightspeed before light even came into existence.

In that briefest moment of creation called Inflation after the big bang the universe was unfolding outwards we guess at a speed around 50,000 * of what relativity when it latter came into existence would define as lightspeed.

Things cooled down with the expansion of spacetime until the average temperature dropped below a few trillion, trillion, trillion degrees. This drop in energy density caused quantum gravity theoretically to decompose into the four seperate forces we know of today.

Now by this point in the Universe's creation gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetism (including light) are travelling too slow to cross the breadth of the expanding universe to keep it a connected whole. By this point in its creation the Universe might only have been as large as a basketball.

So at time around 10 ^ -34 seconds after the big bang the cooler parts of the Universe (i.e. the surface of its expanding sphere of existence, not its core) start to transition at slightly uneven rates (and timeframes) across its whole from being governed by quantum gravity to relativistic physics. But its initial momentum from the Big Bang is still preserved until relativistic forces as they start to come into existence start to interact with whatever parts of the universe they can reach to slow it down and form working subsystems or "hubble spheres".

Accepting this theory and doing the maths tell us that today basically most of spacetime is disconnected.

Here's a thought experiment - shrink the universe we know today so that a billion light years equals an inch. So the Universe we know and can see is 14 inches in radius but we believe the full universe is over 100 inches in radius.

Now imagine scattering or floating many 14 inch balls inside a 100 inch inflated beach ball in space. Just one of those 14 inch balls is our observable universe today. To an observer at the centre of one of those 14 inch balls we can see only our ball - that is the limit of our Einstein's relativistic physical world reality we can experience today. All those other balls can never see or experience anything that affects anything but their own ball. This means that way more than two thirds of the universe could already be gobbled by a blackhole and we could never discover this - it's too far away for us to ever see it or feel its gravity - ever until the end of time...

Now add the momentum of the initial big bang to this model. Inflation is accelerating today. Each of the balls expanding at close to lightspeed whlist nearly all are flying further apart from each other. Lightspeed only governs what happens with any of these balls. Between these balls one can not say what laws of the Universe exist to govern anything.

Finally most balls are further away from the centre than near it - so net gravity is stronger near the edges than the centre of this 100 inch ball, given you can't experience anything outside your own ball! However as you travel with time outwards you may cross the path of another balls expansion trail. This might if the timing was right allow you to experience the remenance that other travelling ball's gravity well! This might just be the dark gravity / dark matter force scientists hypothesis is fuelling the acceleration of inflation occuring today. Call that the Kendall hypothesis!

Finally black holes are also areas where relativity breaks down. Einstein's laws don't hold there (within an event horizon), you need a new physics (possibly quantum gravity again) to map that existence.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:33 pm
Low mass stars do a red giant phase for about one million years then become white dwarf compact stars, when they have no more nuclear fuel after ten billion years or more. Slightly more massive stars, go super nova and become neutron stars after they run out of nuclear fuel in something like 1 to 8 billion years. Still more massive stars burn so intensely they use up their nuclear fuel in less than one billion years , go super nova and become black holes. Please embellish, refute and/or comment. Neil
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:55 pm
g__day wrote:
My original post was a bit cryptic sorry! Basically Einstein's physics of relativity with a constant speed of light in a vacuum for any observer hold in most domains of the universe for most times - but not at its creation when the four forces where combined into a single force. During this earliest stage of its existence the universe was ruled only by the laws of quantum gravity. The c lightspeed limit didn't apply before c came into existence. C can't exist until all four of the fundamental forces we know today are seperated entities.

The Universe we observe now didn't start with Einstein's physics - M-theory might be a better guess. Lets guess M-Theory triggered inflation from a singularity. Well that singularity we supposed was ruled by a unified force known as quantum gravity until the Universe blew itself apart. This big bang explosion caused spacetime to fly apart way, way faster than lightspeed before light even came into existence.

In that briefest moment of creation called Inflation after the big bang the universe was unfolding outwards we guess at a speed around 50,000 * of what relativity when it latter came into existence would define as lightspeed.

Things cooled down with the expansion of spacetime until the average temperature dropped below a few trillion, trillion, trillion degrees. This drop in energy density caused quantum gravity theoretically to decompose into the four seperate forces we know of today.

Now by this point in the Universe's creation gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetism (including light) are travelling too slow to cross the breadth of the expanding universe to keep it a connected whole. By this point in its creation the Universe might only have been as large as a basketball.

So at time around 10 ^ -34 seconds after the big bang the cooler parts of the Universe (i.e. the surface of its expanding sphere of existence, not its core) start to transition at slightly uneven rates (and timeframes) across its whole from being governed by quantum gravity to relativistic physics. But its initial momentum from the Big Bang is still preserved until relativistic forces as they start to come into existence start to interact with whatever parts of the universe they can reach to slow it down and form working subsystems or "hubble spheres".

Accepting this theory and doing the maths tell us that today basically most of spacetime is disconnected.

Here's a thought experiment - shrink the universe we know today so that a billion light years equals an inch. So the Universe we know and can see is 14 inches in radius but we believe the full universe is over 100 inches in radius.

Now imagine scattering or floating many 14 inch balls inside a 100 inch inflated beach ball in space. Just one of those 14 inch balls is our observable universe today. To an observer at the centre of one of those 14 inch balls we can see only our ball - that is the limit of our Einstein's relativistic physical world reality we can experience today. All those other balls can never see or experience anything that affects anything but their own ball. This means that way more than two thirds of the universe could already be gobbled by a blackhole and we could never discover this - it's too far away for us to ever see it or feel its gravity - ever until the end of time...

Now add the momentum of the initial big bang to this model. Inflation is accelerating today. Each of the balls expanding at close to lightspeed whlist nearly all are flying further apart from each other. Lightspeed only governs what happens with any of these balls. Between these balls one can not say what laws of the Universe exist to govern anything.

Finally most balls are further away from the centre than near it - so net gravity is stronger near the edges than the centre of this 100 inch ball, given you can't experience anything outside your own ball! However as you travel with time outwards you may cross the path of another balls expansion trail. This might if the timing was right allow you to experience the remenance that other travelling ball's gravity well! This might just be the dark gravity / dark matter force scientists hypothesis is fuelling the acceleration of inflation occuring today. Call that the Kendall hypothesis!

Finally black holes are also areas where relativity breaks down. Einstein's laws don't hold there (within an event horizon), you need a new physics (possibly quantum gravity again) to map that existence.

Great post g_day! I've read a little on string/supersymmetry/M-theory and it's pretty cool, although I will admit, I am totally lost once higher dimensions are taken into account.

Neil- Yes, you are correct, although I don't know if the timelines you list are correct. From what I remember, the larger the mass, the quicker the fuel burns.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
Has anyone ever seen a Black Hole? Or is it just a theoretical mathematical assumption?
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:53 pm
I'm pretty sure either they've never been seen or a few were just discovered.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
If light cannot escape, or any matter, from a Black Hole, then how can one see it?
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
One way is that because of the light bending properties of a black hole, they could theoretically locate one just about anywhere they see two exact copies of the same star. Imagine one of those funnels they have in science museums that you roll the penny down and it's supposed to be a representation of a black hole. Now imagine shooting a penny at a single target a bit away, having the penny shoot through the "gravitational field" of the "black hole" at a velocity with which it can escape. There will be at least two different paths the penny can take to hit the target.

Short answer, since the black hole bends the light's path, it can bend the light without the light ever going inside to begin with.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:09 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
One way is that because of the light bending properties of a black hole, they could theoretically locate one just about anywhere they see two exact copies of the same star.

This is correct, but gravitational lensing also occurs due to galactic concentrations, and would probaby be difficult to discern at the scale of a black hole (since they are so far away, and so small).

More commonly, black holes produce signatures based on the things orbiting them. Stars orbit super massive black holes, and their orbital mechanics can be used to determine the mass/density of the object they are orbiting. This was done in our galaxy specifically to determine the presence of super massive black holes.

I worked with one of the guys who helped produce the dopler map shown here:

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mmw/images/mmw/Fig3_72dpi.jpg

The other common indicator of a black hole is a "jet" coming from the axis of rotation.

As various forms of matter spiral closer to a black hole, the gravitational gradients they encounter tear the matter apart and produce clouds of high velocity particles, some of which are sufficiently energized to escape the spiral via the axis before reaching the event horizon. The last part is key, BEFORE reaching the event horizon, because nothing can every escape once it passes the event horizon.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0307/cena_cxo_g1.jpg
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:52 pm
Except Hawking radiation, right? Or is that something different entirely?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
Hawking radiation is still theoretical. There are people looking for it but so far no luck. The problem is that the amount of radiation you would get is inversely proportional to the size of the black hole, so to get enough to detect you would need to find an extremely small black hole. They are proving rather hard to find in themselves.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
Except Hawking radiation, right? Or is that something different entirely?

Hawking radiation still doesn't allow for anything to "escape" the black hole. Instead it postulates that pairs of virtual particles form, and in some cases one of those particles forms on the inside of the event horizon, and the other forms on the outside of the Event Horizon. The particle on the outside doesn't need to "escape" the Horizon because it came into existance outside the horizon originally. When the two particles return to the quantum foam, 50% of the mass of the pair has now left the Black Hole.

But as Adrian has said, much of this is theoretical, much more so than the existance of Black Holes themselves, which is pretty intuitive.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:45 pm
A tiny amount of mass/energy is lost because the energy to create the particle pair comes from inside the event horizon. But yeah nothing really escapes, at least not in the form it went in.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:11 am
Gravity - the curvature of spacetime appears to be the only force that can escape a black hole's event horizon - at least under relativistic physics, but we know relativistic physics ceases to hold once you cross the threshold of the event horizon.

I'll give you a ponderance. Inside the event horizon as you approach the singularity you get 2 - 3 layers representing phase changes occuring as the 4 forces start to recombine back to just one governing force; closest to the singularity the energy densities would be so high you'd have passed the heirarchy problem and entered realm of the energy densities required to transition to a phase ruled totally by quantum gravity. If this layer ruptured outwards then potentially a held of alot of stuff would escape the black hole. Remeber we don't understand the laws, nor spacetime properties of a domain controlled by quantum gravity.

I thought most black hole candidates where detected by telltale streams of excessive X-rays exiting from matter that gets sucked towards the event horizon?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
g__day wrote:
Gravity - the curvature of spacetime appears to be the only force that can escape a black hole's event horizon

I don't consider this "escaping". The external curvature is a result of the event horizon, not the singularity.
0 Replies