Spiders scare Brits more than terrorists: horror flick poll

Col Man

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:59 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041011/323/f4bmn.html

LONDON (AFP) - Spiders, cockroaches and other creepy crawlies scare the British more than the threat of a terrorist attack, according to an opinion poll released by a leading Hollywood studio.

The poll of 1,000 adults, conducted at 65 locations around the nation, put insects at the top of Britain's most-feared list, followed by the spectre of a terrorist strke.

"This is because fear of small creatures that scuttle about on four or more legs is a much more ancient, primordial fear, going straight back to caveman days and what might be lurking in the black darkness of our cave homes which could hurt us," psychologist and broadcaster Donna Dawson said Monday.

Snakes came third in the fright stakes, heights fourth and death fifth -- followed by visits to the dentist, needles and injections, public speaking, debt and flying.

The poll was commissioned by Universal Pictures to mark the DVD release of its horror movie "Van Helsing" -- rated a mild PG-13 in the United States for its "nonstop creature action violence".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 325 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:15 pm
I have never walked into my kitchen late and night and been bothered by scurrying terrorists. Nor have I ever been bitten by a terrorist as I'm cleaning out my gutters. This is why insects bother me more.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:20 pm
Oh, nickfun, you are lucky! i find the scurrying terrorists especially startling! worst are the hairy ones!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:44 pm
The large hairy eight legged variety in my home, will scurry only until I smash them with my shoe <shiver>
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
apparently in oz there are many poisonous spiders um a couple are the red back and trap door spiders if they bite you you can die.....
0 Replies